new animal

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mulelover1999, Oct 15, 2012.

1. mulelover1999

mulelover1999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2012
    I love animals and already have chickens but want something I can train and play with but is fairly easy to take care of. No reptiles or birds.

2. Lmjc

Lmjc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    I would birds are the easiest to take care of because they have great survival instincts. I would recommend a rabbit, or a ferret, or maybe even a squirrel.. Ive had a few pet squirrels and they love to cuddle and sleep on my lap , they are easy to take care of because you can put acorns and pecans and nuts in the cage and they crack and peel them theirselves.. You can also teach them tricks, I taught my albino one how to front flip, some pet stores sell squirrels, but the albino squirrel I found as a baby when I was out hunting, he was injured so I took him in.. Anyways xD a squirrel is an excellent choice!!!

3. mulelover1999

Aug 13, 2012
    Wow I never thought of having a squirrle as a pet. Thanks for the suggestion. That would deffinatly be an exotic pet. Does any one have any info on raising breeding and caring for rabbits?

4. mulelover1999

Aug 13, 2012
    Are cats good pets? Are they fairly easy to take care of?

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Even you ever consider keeping a squirrel make sure to check your local ordinances. Many will now allow certain species for pets. Rabbits are fairly easy to take care of. However, breeding takes a lot of money,dedication, and research. It's not something to be taken slightly. Cats are easy to take care of and can make great pets. They may not be the easiest animal to teach "Tricks" though for beginners.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Rats are my favorite pet rodent out of the rodents typically owned. Can teach them tricks. Females often, very often, get mammary rumors, but are good pets. All my feeder/pet store rats had mycoplasma issues except two. I recommend buying from a good breeder.

English lops are my favorite rabbit breed and pet lagomorph. Trainable.

Cats that are food or attention motivated and active at an adult age and show a high level of curiosity can be trained to do amazing things. One of my cats is very trainable to do tricks. One can't walk... Cats that are healthy are very low maintenance animals if you want them to be.

7. mulelover1999

Aug 13, 2012
    What type of pet do you suggest and why?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by