New Araucana birds....Need help!!!!!! PICS

PhlyinPheBee

Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Northeast Louisiana
I got my first online purchase and last. They are to be 6 month old araucanas. 1 roo and six pullets. That is what I paid. They got here and one was dead. They were packed in a box way to small. I have some pics to see if what is left are the pullets. Could not get all of them in the shots.

I bought these as not show stock. Some have tails and none have tuffs. I was hoping for at least one tuff.

24794_5.jpg

24794_4.jpg

24794_3.jpg

24794_1.jpg

24794_mvc-015s.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. They should have been sent in two boxes.

Once they get over the jet lag, they should look a lot better... and perhaps once they molt they'll grow tufts.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Not all of us treat our birds that way, even when they are going to a new home.

Here's what I can see.

1st pic: Blue is a cockerel, red with the blue hackles on the right side is a pullet. Can't see the other two.
2nd pic: Blue is a cockerel, red on right is a pullet, tailed white is a pullet.
3rd pic: Both birds on the box are cockerels.
4th pic: Wheaten/BBR tailed in the back left is a cockerel, white tailed facing left is a pullet, the far right white is a cockerel.
5th pic: see above.

Looks like what you have left is 4 cockerels and 2 pullets. If I can mention, the males look very lean in the face, which leads me to think you're going to have to deworm them and at the same time I'd treat them for mites. They appear very thin which makes me think they are infested, sick, or haven't been fed properly. They just have a haggard look in the face which isn't all caused by shipping stress. Are these large fowl standards or bantams?

Last edited:
all I can say is that the man that I got them from said the one that died was the roo and the rest are pullets. I am worried about one but did not think that 4 out of 6 are roos..
somad.gif
hit.gif
somad.gif
hit.gif
barnie.gif

Quote:
They look Large fowl to me by the picture...
Do you know what they weigh?
A cockerel should be 4 lbs Pullets 3.5 lbs
Roosters 5 lbs and Hens 4 lbs

If they were Bantams they would only be around 26 oz. ( about the same weight/ size of a Old English Game Bantam )

Chris

Back
Top Bottom