New around here!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by agducks, Nov 5, 2014.

1. agducks

agducks New Egg

Nov 5, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    Hey there! My husband and I have done a bunch of research and we are going to get 4 rouen ducks this spring - one drake and three hens. I have read about a million websites about preparing but any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Yay! Ducks are GREAT! I love their eggs prefer them over chickens eggs. Glad you are doing research. I don't have any specific advice other than they are super messy but sooooo worth it!!! Welcome to BYC. People here are great about any questions you may have. Good luck with your ducks!

3. agducks

agducks New Egg

Nov 5, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    We are very excited! I'm a little concerned about how messy they are going to be. Their pen will be on grass but it sounds like they'll eat that up pretty fast. I'll definitely be able to let them out during the day in the backyard. We were thinking of keeping them inside the house while they are babies but it seems like that isn't recommended because they are too noisy. We also have a big shed outside that they could stay in while they are little. I guess I'm just trying to "get all my ducks in a row" before we actually get them!

4. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I've always kept baby chicks and ducks inside. Never had a noise issue or maybe I'm just use to it. I kept them in a spare room with the door shut so that worked for me. They are quite messy esp when they are babies and in a brooder. But even when kept outside they are messy. But I did a lot of trial and error. And still am lol! I'm still pretty new to ducks. They can be quite hard at first mess wise but it get easier once you find what works for you.

5. agducks

agducks New Egg

Nov 5, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    Well that's good to hear. We do have a spare bedroom so that might work. Thank you for all your insight! I appreciate it!

6. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    http://www.fowlblog.com/

Go here I wish I would have had this when i started

But I am happy that I was t self taught and if you ask me thats the best way to really know your ducks, you grow together with them and learn as they learn

Good luck to you![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Welcome! I found that mine were really messy when in the brooder but once they got outside I didn't find it to be an issue. I kept mine in my garage for 2 weeks and then they went outside full time but mine were 2 weeks old when I got them and it was the middle of summer in TX. I think our low was 90 at that point so no issues of being too cold. Make sure you have enough room in the brooder or else you will figure out quickly how messy they are and how much water can get EVERYWHERE. They are pretty hardy and as long as you are able to adjust when things aren't working you will be fine. I'm getting 4 ducklings on Dec 3rd and they are going to inside for a bit since it's getting cold and I want them to be super tame and use to my kids, dogs and all the activity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by