New arrival -Chic supply list, do we have one on here.?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wannabchick, Dec 7, 2010.

1. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    If their is one please link it to me

Looking to get my list of items together for first weeks

Could you please help add to this list
    Thank you

What am I missing?

Brooder
    Box, lid, heat lamp,pine shavings, water feeder and food feeder

Food

Plain yogurt
    Hard boiled eggs
    Chic starter food
    Water add green food coloring to attract the chics
    Sugar,pedialite,vitamins- if necessary

Bandaides-incase of straddle legs
    Mereks vaccine, 3cc syringe,and several insulin syringes
    A &D ointment or Vaseline for pasty butt, small scissorsnif necessary to remove fur area around vent?..

Please feel free to add to my list

Bandaides
    A&D ointment

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  2. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    How many pine shavings do you have? Always good to have extra- brooders can get smelly [​IMG]

When my girls lived in a brooder, I'd put catmint on the bottom before adding new shavings so that it would smell good. The chicks seemed to like it. Then when I put catmint in their new coop they realized pretty quickly it was home [​IMG]

3. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:Sounds like a great idea, where though does one get catmint?

Mmn, I didn't know I had to set up several brooders, I have several of those tub totes and figure I can keep them in that,

Xoxox

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Sounds like a great idea, where though does one get catmint?

Mmn, I didn't know I had to set up several brooders, I have several of those tub totes and figure I can keep them in that,

Xoxox

I'm sure she means extra pine shavings, not extra brooders.
    Ok, just looked at your list- I never added green food coloring to the water with my chicks. Don't forget some paper towels to cover your pine shavings for 1-3 days- see the below website for instructions:

Here is my favorite page on chick care. This was the first hatchery I ordered from:
    http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

And another good one:
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingChicks.html

Oh and don't forget a thermometer.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Padded medical pad things for cleaning pasty butt. Those 3 x 3" non stick pads work great for cleaning their bums.

6. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    corn meal (enriched)
    instead of bandaids I get 3/4 in bandage tape works great and can be trimmed down

waterer its a shallow cat bowl marbles so they don't drown but can get water from the bottom if needed (both from walmart)
    [​IMG]

7. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    As for tthe Mereks vax, are you getting hatchery chicks? If so, you can have them vacc the chicks for you. Mereks vacc has to be used within an hour of mixing and unless you are vaccing hundreds of chicks, it isn't really worth it. I hatch my own and don't vacc them for Mereks, but that is all up to you.

Also, green food coloring isn't necessary. What kind of waterer do you have? If you have one of the red chick ones that the jar screws on, they will be more attracted to the red of the base, than green. And, unless it is very cold or drafty where you are keeping them, a lid probably isn't a good idea, unless you cut out most of it and replace it with hardware cloth. Those heat lights create A LOT of heat and if you put a lid on them, they will roast.

Good luck with your new chickies!

8. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Thank u all for the fret advice and taking the time to share your experiences and knowledge, I was looking at all the photos and so many had a screen or something over their boxes and or lid and yes cut out for air circulation and such,

So I do have a travel cage I use for my electus parrot when we he was little and we traveled a lot , maybe I should use that.

But worry about them getting their heads stuck through it,...decisions, decisons

And will read up on the links you have provided

Again thank u

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by