new arrivals! :D

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MetalSmitten, Apr 23, 2011.

1. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Songster

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    just got done with our very first time incubating - it didn't go quite as well as i'd hoped, only 4 hatched =/ but they're cuties [​IMG]

click link for video! five whole minutes of new chicks doin' chick stuff! [​IMG]

two blue cochins, two barnyard surprises [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap

Congrats!!!! [​IMG]

3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    4 is better than nothing. My first time hatching was a dud. Then I got an 100% hatch! I've never had it happen again

Congrats! Enjoy them because you will catch the hatching bug soon and then thats all you'll do [​IMG]

4. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Songster

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    i'm definitely enjoying them! [​IMG]

i just gotta try to figure out what went wrong this time... what did you change between your two batches that caused the success to skyrocket so much?

ETA: hey, you're a fellow hoosier! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  5. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Congrats they're very cute chicks [​IMG] My first time I had 0 out of 18 eggs to hatch, but they were Seramas.

6. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:The first time I didn't have a way to track my humidity, and the I used a thermometer that came with the incubator. The second time I bought a two in one thermometer and I was able to track my humidity and temp more accurately. The 100% was with someone elses eggs. I've never been able to reproduce it. I usually average 85%-95%....

7. tia

tia Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Congratulations on your four little chicks... they are so cute!!! My first few attempts at incubating were not very successful. I am getting better, but have to give the credit to the newer models of incubators. Keep on trying, we learn so much each time.

8. Balbinka

Balbinka Songster

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Aw! You are definitely rockin' the pink feeder!

I tried to find one but didn't manage to do so!
    They are adorable, congrats.

9. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Songster

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    Quote:can i ask what brand it was? i'm getting super frustrated with thermometers/hygrometers, they're all different and i don't trust the calibration results and bah humbug. an 85-95% average is awesome though!

10. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:can i ask what brand it was? i'm getting super frustrated with thermometers/hygrometers, they're all different and i don't trust the calibration results and bah humbug. an 85-95% average is awesome though!

I had and still have a LG. They are ok... I have a new one eyed and I'm leaving hints to Mom. I just candled the eggs and I have 100% fertility on my eggs in their now and they are all developing well and I think they'll all make it to lockdown!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: