New arrivals

Tilly6

Songster
6 Years
Jul 26, 2016
Upper Peninsula, MI
I know everyone loves baby duck pictures so I thought I should share

Since you have baby ducks, maybe you could give some advice instead of starting a whole new thread.
I had 2 broody chickens sitting on a duck egg. Unsure what kind, it was given to me.
It hatched early (wasn't due until next week) and I'm a bit unprepared.
They have a larger waterer and regular chicken ceumble. They seem to be keeping it warm. Is there anything I need to do tonight? I am pretty sure it hatched this morning.

Since you have baby ducks, maybe you could give some advice instead of starting a whole new thread.
I had 2 broody chickens sitting on a duck egg. Unsure what kind, it was given to me.
It hatched early (wasn't due until next week) and I'm a bit unprepared.
They have a larger waterer and regular chicken ceumble. They seem to be keeping it warm. Is there anything I need to do tonight? I am pretty sure it hatched this morning.

It's so cute! And it's mom's are adorable too! The duckling will probably try to get into the water if there is any room at all, so keep an eye on it. It won't be waterproof yet. You might need to put some pebbles in the water so it is too shallow to get into. They are really very hardy and with two chicken moms it should be pretty safe. The food can't be medicated, ducks eat more than chicks and can poison themselves on medicated chick starter. Get some brewers yeast at Tractor Supply or Amazon or somewhere, not a huge rush, but ducks need more niacin than chicks or they get leg problems. Just sprinkle some over the top of the feed every day. How exciting to have broody hens to mother the ducky too! Mine were shipped from California and it took 2 days, so your baby will have a much better start than mine. I do have males and females so maybe one of the welshies will hatch some eggs in the Spring.

Back
Top Bottom