New Arrivals

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by deserthotwings, Nov 18, 2011.

1. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    I am considering trading 2 yellow golden hens (spring 2011 hatch) for 2 Amherst hens (same age). If I put the 2 new hens into my Amherst pen with 14 other birds of the same age will they be accepted or will I be in for problems ??

2. gon4elk

gon4elk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    Utah
    How big is the pen? Is there cover or places the new birds can hide and/or feel secure? This time of the year is the best time to introduce new birds. Just watch them closely for a few days.

Steve

3. deserthotwings

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    The pen is 20' by 20' , 6' high with about 2/3 of it in knee high grass and a medium size grapefruit tree in the center. I think they would probably be able to avoid any trouble makers for awhile, but would the other birds eventualy accept them ?

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    There is usually always problems when introducing new birds to an established pen.New comers are usually picked on and in some cases killed.If possible but all birds into a new pen,so everyone is new to the pen.Then after they have accepted each other,you can put them in to any pen all together with minimum problems.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. deserthotwings

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    Thanks Gon4elk and Tony. Thats what I needed to hear. Will try moving them all to a different pen right away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by