New at chickens in NW Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cbasser, Mar 21, 2012.

1. cbasser

cbasser New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    NW Florida
    I thought I'd just say, "Hey!" We decided to get chickens a few weeks ago and I have absolutely fell in love with them. It's shocking how much I love my babies. Even more than my poor dog! We built a coop that will hold 6 chickens but I'm already thinking of where to put the next one and eventually life on a farm where I can have some of those handsome roosters. There are so many breeds that look fun to have. I guess six will have to do for now. I've got 5 kids and a wonderful husband. So far we have a 1 1/2 week old buckeye and white marans and 2, 4 week old black sex links. I've got my eyes set on an easter egger and a silver laced wyandotte.

I'm having trouble with the buckeye and it makes me so sad. Last Saturday I noticed she had pasted up so I cleaned her off and put her back in with the others. A while later I noticed she was off by herself all puffed up and falling over asleep. I thought she was going to die that night. I separated her and made a mix of molasses and water and some mash. I dipped her beak a few times and got her to drink. Then I cried. I just knew I was going to wake up to a dead baby chick. She made it through the night and seemed perky the next day. The water and food was gone. I put her back in with the others and she ate and drank and pooped although it continued to stick to her rear. I went ahead and treated them all with Corid. She's still with us but doesn't seem to be growing anymore. She's fat but still looks like she's only a couple days old. She chirps all the time and seems weak and sleepy. She is always trying to climb under the older chicks. Right now she is sitting on my lap on a heating pad. She seems comfortable now. (No peeping and asleep) The brooder thermometer reads about 97*. I'm afraid to turn it down because of this little one. Hopefully she can pull through.

Well, I guess that's the end of my ramblings. I'm excited to have found this group and to learn about chicken husbandry.

2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....glad you joined us. I had a chick that acted the same as yours and I fed him mashed up boiled eggs. That did the trick. Hope your little chick feels better soon :)

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! [​IMG]

5. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

7. silkiesilly

silkiesilly Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Welcome to another newby! I hope your chicky gets better!

8. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

[​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan