New at chickens my name is Debbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dlgower, Mar 5, 2015.

1. dlgower

dlgower Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I have read 7 books but still un sure of heat for my 6 week old pullets that I am getting 4/5/15. It still gets cold in Colorado
    Springs in April. At 6 weeks do they need a heat source in the coop? What type of heat is best? Or should I keep them inside a little longer. I have a large dog create I can use if they need to stay inside longer. I am getting 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes and 2
    Easter Eggers.
    Thank-You for any help

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. A lot will depend upon the environment that they are coming from. If they are being provided with heat when you get them, they will need to gradually be weaned off.

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I don't think 6 week old pullets will need supplemental heat in April. They are all feathered out at that point. Just make sure they have enough food available to burn calories for heat.

AND OF COURSE[​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 Six weeks is kind of an in between age, with draft free shelter if they are feathered feathered and the weather is decent (40* or so) and they have been acclimated to the cold, they will probably be fine without heat. If it is colder, or if they have been kept in a brooder and haven't been exposed to colder temps, or are behind in feathering, I'd try to keep them in for a few weeks and get them used to the cold first (turn off the heat during the day, put them outside for short periods of time (watch them and when they quit moving around and start to huddle bring them back in), and by eight weeks they should be fine outside even if it is cold... it will probably be easier to keep four birds inside for two weeks than to heat the coop (and give you more time to bond with them :) ... most people use heat lamps of some sort to heat to make a warm spot in the coop, but it is always a safety issue.

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

If they were mine, I'd probably provide a little heat. Chicks at 6 weeks are usually covered in feathers, but don't have all their insulating feathers yet. They may not be able to withstand freezing temperatures, but should do fine at 50 degrees or so. I'd wait until they were at least 8 weeks old before putting them outside in really cold weather.

8. dlgower

dlgower Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thank you so much for the help.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

The other members have answered your questions well. Good luck with your future chicks! You're getting some great breeds.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by