New at gardening/starting seeds indoors

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by KDOGG331, Feb 6, 2017.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Just picked all this up at Walmart. Went a little crazy on the seeds especially since I have tons left from last year LOL but oh well, I don't really have any herbs, I mostly have vegetables from last year

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these are the herbs right now. They're a bit dry so gotta water them and gonna put the heating pad under them

[​IMG]

Figured I'd try this thing since it was only like 6 bucks at Walmart. Doubt it really holds 72 plants though lol but ya know.

I figured I'd try it and start them indoors then I can move the herbs to pots? And move the peppers and other veggies outside? Or keep inside?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  2. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Okay so I planted the sweet peopers, both kinds of hot peppers, and the tomatoes in the tray and put the heating pad under the herbs.

I am going to need another tray for the other seeds! LOL

But we will see how this goes!

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Do you have a nice bright place for them to grow? Or perhaps a couple of shop lights you can set up? With all those plants you are starting, you are going to need to supply lots of light until you can get them outside. I'd put the brakes on further planting, until you have your lighting planned out. Planting seeds is like chicken math, only much worse. They're so tiny and cute when they stay in those packets. But once you let them out and water them, they turn into a jungle that overtakes your whole house, and demand constant attention. Nothing screams louder than a tray full of wilted seedlings.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  4. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The room they're in is pretty bright because it has two large bay windows but I could put them closer to the window or make it brighter. The box on the kit said to put them out of direct sunlight until they sprout but that doesn't really make sense

Anyway, yeahhhhh, you're probably right.

And maybe I should have gotten a smaller tray, 72 plants is kind of a lot of plants LOL

But of course I'll probably just keep the strongest ones, I don't need like 12 or 18 or whatever of one kind of plant aha

Although I do want to plant some herbs. But I suppose I can wait lol

And thanks

5. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You were right @lazy gardener planting is addictive! LOL

Thankfully I haven't planted anything else (yet) but earlier tonight I ordered a cheap seedling heat mat and thermostat cause I figured I might as well use a waterproof pad designed for seeds (plus I wanna put one under the other seeds). And then just now I placed yet another order, this time for seed starting mix... I was going to drive to Walmart at 10:30 at night for it (to start the other seeds) but thought better of it and decided to wait until tomorrow to go to the store, like a reasonable and NOT impulsive person..... until I started looking at potting soil on Amazon [​IMG]

Thankfully I just have the one tray right now. But I really want to try more herbs and all the other veggies and and and....

Now thankfully all the stuff I can and will use eventually whether I go crazy and overboard and plant everything right now or decide to wait and do one tray at a time but still.

You are right, I probably should put the brakes on more planting. But it's hard because I've become rather impulsive lately (well, always been but more so) and I really want to try growing the other herbs, especially since they can be kept indoors.

Although I think the herbs I have growing now from some kits I got at TSC should be plenty. We barely even cook [​IMG] it's chives, parsley, and basil. And since I have 2 kits, that's 2 each. That's a lot of herbs.

I need to put the brakes on.

But the good thing (or bad in my case) is seeds/gardening in general seems to be fairly cheap compared to other hobbies and it's not an animal I could harm from being impulsive or losing interest. Although plants do still require care and you are right, it might seem fun now but what am I gonna do when all 72 plants and any more I plant start popping up?

But that said, THE CHIVES ARE STARTING TO SPROUT AND IT'S SO COOL AND ADDICTING LOL

I am going to TRY to put the brakes on. Even though this is great fun so far

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  6. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You might look at Pro-Mix. It comes in a large bale, and is inoculated with microrhizae to help avoid damping off issues.

7. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

I'll look into that, thanks!

Maybe I should send some of the other stuff back too.

Or at the least not buy or plant anything else..

You know, gardening might be good for me though, normally I lose interest fast/am too impulsive so waiting for plants to grow might be good haha

8. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Always good to watch stuff grow. I have a magnifying loop that I use on a regular basis when i have stuff growing. One would think I'm seriously deranged: to see me with my loop, poring over the soil in a flat, looking for the first signs of life, and counting the little sprouts as they appear. Yep, no OCD here!!!! But, really... I'm pretty harmless.

9. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sounds great to me!

The chives are starting to pop up, did a couple days ago, and at first it was one pretty big, obvious, shoot, but then I noticed there was another smaller one and that the other pot has some teeny shoots too. So I too was looking at it trying to find shoots haha

10. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    HHH ALL THE POTS NOW HAVE SPROUTS!!!! :celebrate :weee :clap :ya :woot :yiipchick :bun

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by