New at hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by digger455, Aug 3, 2010.

1. digger455

digger455 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    OK now I am trying to figure this out. Does a hen get off the eggs when she is sitting on them. She things that have to be done once in a while. I should be able to take the top off to put in water and stuff like that. I don't want to horse things up taking the top off. I tried to put water in and it looked like I would get water on eggs. That can not be good. As you can tell first time doing this. Thanks for any help I can get.

Digger

2. digger455

digger455 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    I think I worded that wrong, sorry.I am haching some eggs in a incubator. I have this idea that you can not open to put water in. I woold have to take top off little giant bator so not to get water on eggs. This is day two for me, and the first time around. Thanks

Digger

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    You can open it safely during the incubation time. Once they start hatching that is when you need to keep the opening to a minimum.

Matt

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Don't worry it is perfectly fine to take the top off to do things like: put water in, turn the eggs, etc. Just don't leave it off TO long. but opening it for a few minutes to put in water will not hurt anything. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by