new at hatching

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mimi marsh, Feb 11, 2015.

1. mimi marsh

mimi marsh New Egg

Feb 11, 2015
    Hello I am a first time Hatcher today was hatch day and last night a chick started making its way out and got quite a bit done and it has just stopped. Nothing today I'm wondering if you all think it died for some reason. I'm not familiar how long it usually takes to get out. Thanks

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

In my experience, it is common for chicks to rest for a long time (up to 24 hours) before making much progress. With that in mind, there might be nothing wrong with your pipped chick, and it should hatch on its own. However, I have occasionally seen chicks die in the shell without pipping. That is rather rare, though, and I think it is better to assume your chick is fine. [​IMG]

Good luck with the hatch! It is an exciting time. I have 15 eggs due to hatch in three days, and I'm eagerly expecting them, too.

3. mimi marsh

mimi marsh New Egg

Feb 11, 2015

4. mimi marsh

mimi marsh New Egg

Feb 11, 2015
    Thank you and I hope it's ok. One hatched a day early and others haven't done anything. I was wondering how I am going to get the one hatched chick out tomorrow will be 48 hours hatched

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    To remove the one chick - run hot water in your shower (with door closed). Once the bathroom is all steamy carry the incubator in there (unplugged, momentarily) . Take the chick out as fast as possible. Spray a little warm water into the incubator as you close it. It's easier if you have an assistant. The chick can go in your pocket till the incubator is plugged back in- then chick should go into a pre warmed brooder to await his siblings.

Hope this doesn't sound too complicated. But, it keeps the humidity from dropping. Lonely brooder chick can have a small stuffed toy to cuddle with. Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG]

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock"

Bantamlover21 has given you some good advice. I occasionally have some chicks hatch up to two days before the others. In general, they externally pip, wait for a little less than a day, and then get out in a matter of hours. However, some take much longer to zip all the way around the shell. Others take only a couple of minutes. I, too, have had chicks die after externally pipping and breaking the shell, for no apparent reason. Some of mine have even partially zipped around the shell and then died. Yours may be alive, or it may not be. Do you see any movement?

I hope the hatch goes well!

7. mimi marsh

mimi marsh New Egg

Feb 11, 2015
    Thanks drumstick diva doesn't sound too complicated

8. mimi marsh

mimi marsh New Egg

Feb 11, 2015
    No I don't see any movement

9. mimi marsh

mimi marsh New Egg

Feb 11, 2015