1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New at raising...again

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SunKissedAcres, Jan 30, 2011.

1. SunKissedAcres

SunKissedAcres Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    Hi all. I'm new here, but not new to raising chickens. I've raised, bred, incubated, and sold...lots of chickens, but I stopped for about a year and a half, so things are kinda fuzzy again. I need some help. I purchase 150 baby chicks from the big hatchery here in Texas. First day was ok, lost one or two. But everyday since Wed, I've been losing 3-4. I've lost a total of about 12 so far, and I just cant figure it out. They just don't eat or drink, and then they get so weak, they continually go downhill and are dead within a day or two. I can't STAND losing chicks. Any ideas? I'm going to change their food as soon as we get paid any day, but I'm not sure that's even the problem. I put chick saver, sugar, and an antibiotic in their water to help boost them. That's about the whole picture. I could really use some help here. Please...

Thanks!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Did you dip their beaks to show them where the water is? What are your temps under the light? Do they have multiple options to be either under or out of the heat lamp? Also, for most chicks pecking is an instinctual behavior so they eventually figure out how to eat on their own. But Mama Hen "teaches" them by pecking at things they should eat and they follow her example. With my chicks, I "peck" at the food with my finger to show them what to do. Usually they watch and then follow suit fairly quickly.
    Oh - ETA [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    First off [​IMG]

I'm not really sure.. Did you do the show the how to eat and drink thing?? You might try feeding them some scrambled eggs & yogurt to give them a protein boost!!

Hope you get it figured out!!

Good Luck!

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Are you sure you're feeding them Chick Starter and not Layer Crumbles or something? How's your temp in the brooder? Do they have enough room? Are they pecking eachother?

5. SunKissedAcres

Jan 27, 2011
    Well, I guess something was wrong with their temp, because once I fiddled with their heat lights, they did better. I still lost a few, but they're all doing good now. I did show them how to eat and drink, and they are on the correct chick starter...

NOW my problem is I had babies ordered before this arctic blast, and the poor things didn't get through the mail system as fast as usual, and my babies are dying off at rapid rates. They got too chilled and were extremely dehydrated. I was up late last night hand watering with the syringe, but finally had to get some sleep. Thet are good as long as I'm giving them water, but as soon as I have to stop for a bit, I come back and their all flat on the floor again, and it starts all over. I don't have the heart to just let them die. Now for the most part, it's all the tiniest bantams that I'm losing. They just got too dehydrated. I hate this part, I breaks my heart!! I hate to see these guys die!!! Over something so stupid no less! But they just don't get strong enough to ever drink on their own. But out of 10, I can save about 2-3, so I keep up the fight.

I got the Gro-gel to help combat this. Any other ideas besides sugar and vitamins in the water?

I do so love chickens...especially the babies and those cute fuzzy butts!!! Awwwww!!!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    So sorry about the loss of your chicks! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I would just keep water and food down'em. You might soften up their food a bit.

7. SunKissedAcres

Jan 27, 2011
    Oh, I've lost so many from this bunch! It's killing me! I'm not even 100% sure how many...somewhere around 40-45 of the 160, I think. Always the smallest ones for the most part, but even some of the full sized heavy breeds. And I've noticed for some reason that the bantams are having a real problem with stacking. But I've been force feeding and watering the few sick ones that are left, and that seems to be working...for now anyhow.

It's a struggle because part of me wants to desperately save these guys, but the other part thinks that I should just let the sick ones die, and then I'll have a stronger flock, you know? But standing by and watching those babies die such an ugly death, it's just too much for me. I have to at least try.

Any one else ever lose so many from a shipment? I think this time, the P.O. didn't even have them in a heated area. And when I went to pick them up, they were sitting by the swinging double doors, right by a draft! Such a preventable waste!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by