New at raising chicks

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jc9766, Nov 21, 2011.

1. jc9766

jc9766 New Egg

Nov 21, 2011
    I'm planning on starting to raise chicks this spring- I'm trying to figure out the size of the coop that would be best- I was thinking of a 4 ft deep x 5 ft long and 4 feet high- I want to have 6 hens- medium and large. I live in upstate new york and will have some outdoor space for them but they will spend time inside and I want them to have enough room. Is this large enough?

2. Framac

Framac Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    New Berlin
    The Basic Rule is 4 Square feet inside, and 10 Square feet outside per bird. In Winter if you Birds will be inside all day, you might want to up that a little.

Regards,

Chris

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

I agree the larger you can make it the better for them. Is it going to be a raised coop?
    I like my walk in better than my raised since I can get into it to clean it easily.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you already know that your chickens will be spending time indoors (due to weather or other reasons), then I would go for at least 4 sq. ft per bird in your housing as well, as others have suggested. So if a coop that size is what you're planning, I would consider 4 - 5 birds rather than 6. And if you think you'd keep a feeder/waterer inside (some do/some don't), I'd go more for 4. If you're building a run as well, then you'll want at least about 10 sq. ft of space there (per bird).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by