new at selling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by five is my dog, Jul 22, 2013.

1. five is my dog

five is my dog Songster

Jul 4, 2013
    I am selling my chicks pretty soon.(they are in my bator). they are all straight run and i want to give fair prices. however i am having to turn the eggs measure out portions of water and have to check the temp every 30 min. so what should i sell them for?

2. The most important detail is what you didn't say. What breed are they? Are they out of top, true to breed stock?

Top breeders of show lines can demand $25 a chick or more sometimes, if they have a well known strain and the stock is well respected. Just hatching chicks from so-so hatchery stock rarely nets that kind of money. Your local market will determine what you can charge. Don't be surprised if $4 or $5 would be big money.

Which leads to the reality that making money off chickens difficult and most would say virtually impossible. Breaking even is considered a moral victory. It's a hobby. Do it because you love it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  3. five is my dog

five is my dog Songster

Jul 4, 2013
    im not selling for money im selling for pleasure [​IMG]. all of my hens are amazing layers and im selling the chicks as just that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: