New at this - 2 eggs over a week late and update on newly hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oz Chook, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Oz Chook

Oz Chook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    Western Australia
    I have 2 eggs left from my 6. The 3 surviving chickies are doing great! [​IMG]
    They are now running around outside the henhouse with Mum and she takes them home each night. The other chooks all stay away and don't give them any trouble.

I put 1 chick with Cochin Bantum mum (I had 2 go broody at once) inside as they other Mum, a Wyondotte, didn't want any chicks less than perfect it seems and gave this one a hard time and pecked at it's eyes until they were in terrible shape. They are looking good now though.

I'll put them outside together again this weekend now that the chickie is looking good and is nice and strong and see how they go.

These are probably very dumb questions for those of you who have been there done this a thousand times, but....

My eggs are over a week late, so I'm guessing they are a no go? How do I tell?

When evryone talks of peeping, should I actually be able to hear something inside the egg?

2. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    If they're over a week late you could try candling them and seeing if you notice any movement inside the egg...do they smell at all? Any cracks or stuff oozing from the egg?

When we hatched our chicks in a 'bator, we didn't hear any peeping until there was an actual pip in the egg...

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Were all the eggs incubated at the same time ?? Is there a chance these eggs you still have are younger than the others that allready hatched ??

I would candle them and see what you can see !!

4. Oz Chook

Nov 11, 2007
    Western Australia
    I bought the eggs fertilised at the same time and popped them all under straight away.

Have tried candling, but can't see through them at all. Either because I'm not doing it right or because they are brown eggs.

The eggs look in great shape, no nicks, bad smell or anything, just like a regular egg.

I followed directions on another link about how, and I've tried every torch and light globe in the house and nothing. I can't hear anything inside.

5. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    If you started those eggs at the same time as the others and you are seeing nothing I would guess those are infertile or otherwise bad. If they have been incubating 28 days, chances are, nothing is going to hatch from them. Congrats on your other babies!!! Can't wait for my broody to be able to run around with her little chicks!! 8 more days!!

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Agree, I think they are bad eggs. If you see a "blob" in them there very well could be chicks in there (by this time I would guess they would be expired)

It would be a different story if they could of been layed at different times but since you got them all together they should of hatched the same time.

I would open them up and see what happend and what day they made it till.

7. Oz Chook

Nov 11, 2007
    Western Australia
    Thanks, I'll take them away now and after work I'll open up, although bit nervous about what to expect.

Funny, I can sit though a whole afternoon watching Saw movies but I'm nervous opening up an egg!!!

8. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    I know what you mean. I work in an ER/ trauma center. See all kinds of horrific things, yet when I had a full term chick die before it pipped all I did was crack open the top to make sure it was dead. Did not want to open it all the way. I do open the ones that quit earlier. I think I was just emotional that day...was sad it didn't make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by