New at this! Help! Green poop

Sugartree11

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
North Central Florida
Hi! We have had hens for about 8 months. I was just recently gifted two Cochin roosters. They are sweet and pretty, but have issues.

Last night I heard them squawking in the middle of the night. Something was after them. I ran out and couldn't find the culprit. The roosters were alive.
This morning I went out to investigate. There were feathers everywhere! And I started looking for other signs of the animal. I found some green poop. Very green

So I assumed it was the other animals poo, but after googling it, I'm afraid it may belong to one of my birds.

The roosters have poultry lice. And one has very runny poop sometimes. His rear is nasty.
I am treating them for the lice tomorrow, but I'm wondering if I should cut my losses and get them away from my girls. I really like them, but I don't want them infecting my hens.

I appreciate your advice! I'm clueless!

I forgot to add that the rooster also has something wrong with his comb. It is dry and scabby looking. I'm not sure if he is sick, or if it is bc he is the low ranking roo and gets picked on a lot

That poop looks like it could easily be chicken poop as well. My chickens are locked up at night, so no other animals have access, and there was chicken poop in there that exact same color, just recently pooped in the past few days. I figure someone got into the Christmas lights, lol... but seriously I just assumed it was someone's digestive tract responding to some food tidbit I gave them, not in an unhealthy worrisome way, just is what it is.
As for the roo's head, I would think that is scabbing due to pecking, or depending on your coldness factor, his comb got too cold and is sorta dying off so it scabs up. That can happen in really cold with combs and wattles. I am applying Vaseline to my Polish rooster's wattles in the morning when I let them out so he doesn't freeze them off in the water bowl.
I have no thoughts on the lice, as I am not really familiar with them at all... Sevin dust maybe? I am sure someone else will pipe in about that one. :)
Hope all your animals are okay! And good luck!

Back
Top Bottom