new at this need some help please!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by baby_chicks_keene, May 11, 2011.

1. baby_chicks_keene

baby_chicks_keene New Egg

May 10, 2011
    My husband and I bought 15 golden comets and 6 white pecking ducks. We lost 2 chicks already 1 on the way home from picking them up. And one yesterday. The chicks bellies are covered in poop and I've tried the warm water and a wash cloth but it wasn't working. The ducks are doing fine. But I don't want to lose all my chicks. Is there a way to clean their stomachs? I any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Chicks in the adirondacks

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I believe warm water and gently scrub. Sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  3. mcsfarms

mcsfarms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern California
    can you use olive oil on it to soften it and then the warm water?

4. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    If it's really bad, I'll use some small scissors and kind of cut into the gunk - that usually breaks it up enough for the water to get in there. Be careful of course that you don't cut the chicks, but I've never cut a chick and I'm no surgeon.

Also, some mild soap may help. All of our soaps are very mild and hypoallergenic already, but if you don't have that, try picking up some Dr Bronner's soap or some unscented plain glycerin soap (in the bar is all I've ever found it - I don't think it can be liquid).

Best of luck!

5. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I'd address this problem both on the inside and the outside! Start giving them all WARM molasses water to drink. This is a chicken laxative, great for chicks. The recipe/ratio is one large drop of food-grade molasses per tablespoon of water. Give them 7-12 sips per day (being careful not to submerge their nostrils if you need to hold them to make them drink, otherwise they will aspirate). Usually giving them molasses water for 3-4 days will remedy the problem. Make this molasses water fresh, daily, so it won't ferment. Also, make sure that all drinking water is warm to tepid (they need regular drinking water in addition to the molasses water, of course), as cool water can upset chick tummies. Don't give the ducks the molasses water. Make sure the chicks are eating medicated chick starter feed. Do not allow the duckings to eat the medicated feed, as it can kill ducklings. In addition to this, externally wash the dried poop off their bellies and vents using warm water on a soft wash cloth, and then dry the chicks thoroughly and place back under the heat lamp to warm them. Only use olive oil on irriated red skin near the vent, else it will cause dirty bedding to stick to the belly and further irriate the skin there.

6. mcsfarms

mcsfarms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern California
    I meant to ask if you could use the olive oil to soften and loosen the mess and then wash with warm water and soap to get everything off? being a new chick owner, I wasn't sure

7. AZSummer

AZSummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    I just wanted to add, chicks are drama queens. They may put on a show like you're killing them before you've even gotten started. I had one that was pasty, and you would have thought it was the end of the world when I put a warm, wet cloth to her bottom! Just make sure the water is warm and blow them dry so they don't get a chill.

While you're cleaning them, make sure they don't have a pasty vent. It can kill the quickly. They have one opening on their bottoms to eliminate waste from. If it gets crusted over, they can't poo. Clean any dried poo with the same techniques you're using to wash them (olive oil, wet cloth, and/or scissors).

8. baby_chicks_keene

baby_chicks_keene New Egg

May 10, 2011
    Thank you for the advice. I had no idea what to do w them.

Chicks in adirondacks

9. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    my problem child had major issues because she was so teeny when she poo'ed she wasn't tall enough to leave it behind(sorry if tmi) and i would have to give her a bath just about every other day and she was not happy and she would holler like i was killing her after about a week of this i was finally able to just clen her up with a baby wipe and i added a dab of antibacterial on her and i put some vasoline on her to help with the sticking issues and i started using finer shavings and that seemed to help too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by