1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New at this! Nervous and excited

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by littlejohnacres, Jan 15, 2016.

1. littlejohnacres

littlejohnacres Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2016
    Casstown, Ohio
    Hi all,
    I got a little coop for X-mas and last Sunday I bought 4 - 15 week old Isa Brown's. I was getting a little worried because they weren't coming out of the coop (it has been very cold here). Finally yesterday was a little warmer and they came out as I was spreading straw around on the ground for them. Is this normal?? They seem to be ok. Any tips would be helpful. Can't wait till they start laying eggs :)

[​IMG]

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    [​IMG]
    Welcome! We're glad you're here!
    They are probably just getting used to their home. Give them a little time :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chickens are easily stressed by moves, new members in a flock, or changes in their routine. When they feel secure they will be out and about exploring and showing their true personalities. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

4. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! Don't worry about it. When chickens arrive in a new home they tend to be a little timid. Also if they are getting a little cold they will go inside and huddle together to keep each other warm. Not much you have to worry about. By the way your chickens will pick up on your emotions try to be as less stressed as you can. Just about all animals will pick up on emotions. It's very interesting on how they can connect to you.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The other members have given you some good advice so I'll just say, "If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers."

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Congratulations on getting your first flock and the coop! Everything stresses out chickens...new coop, additions to the flock, a gust of wind, etc. The good news is they adapt pretty quickly. It sounds like they are fine.

If you have questions, always feel free to ask, there are a lot of helpful friendly members here.

Thanks for joining us!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. MarcyR1011

MarcyR1011 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2015
    Hemlock Michigan
    Glad you joined us! If they are already 15 weeks olds they should start laying soon. My Isa Browbs started laying at 4-1/2 months and have been great layers! My chickens don't like coming out in the snow and cold. I encourage them to come out by throwing some scratch and gravel in the run. Good luck!

9. littlejohnacres

littlejohnacres Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2016
    Casstown, Ohio
    Thanks everyone! They have been coming out more and more the last couple of days. I try to spend time with them so they get used to me. I love them!! I have been reading and getting a lot of information. So I am feeling a little more at ease.

1 person likes this.
  10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by