1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New at this - starting with 4 baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FriscoRaven, Mar 20, 2013.

1. FriscoRaven

FriscoRaven Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Hello all! I am brand new to backyard chickens and am getting started with my first chickens in the next few weeks. I am planning to start with just 4 baby chicks and see how that goes before diving into the big leagues!

I have a few questions, the first being about the brooder. What size does it need to be to keep the chicks in? I plan to keep them in my garage (it is not heated but has power so heat lamps won't be an issue). I also don't want to spend a signficant amount of time/money on the brooder since I don't know if I will be getting more chicks down the road.

Any advice, recommendations, or comments?

Thank you!

2. Gypsy Blue

Gypsy Blue Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    Well a Tupperware tub from walmart works well, or do as we did and use a really big cardboard box :) Of course we have 18 fuzzy butts. There's tons of strings with all different methods and they all seem to work. Oh and beware chicken math... my 6 = 18 lol....

Brooder, heat, water, food and lovies... If you've got that it's a good start!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] We have a few nice brooder designs here for you to look at: Chicken Brooders The recommended size for chicks are:

Up to 2 weeks: 0.5 sq ft per chick
    2-4 weeks: 1 sq ft per chick
    4-8 weeks: 2.5 sq ft per chick
    Over 8 weeks: 4 sq ft per chick

Make sure you have a brooder with a cover of some sort as chicks are amazing little escape artists! They can fly from a surprisingly young age and once they are out... They can run fast too!

4. Gypsy Blue

Gypsy Blue Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    See? Lots of people with lots of knowledge here :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by