New at this.

chicken puff

Hatching
May 17, 2016
Smithville ,Tn
Hey everyone I'm a new member and I'm really excited to have found BYC . So I guess there is no time like the present to start asking questions . (I hope I'm doing this right)I have had 3 welsummer hens and 3 bantam hens for about a year now . The welsummers in one pen and the bantams in another. I had a roo in each pen and neither roo made it through the winter for some reason . I do have a new rooster in the bantam pen now .My question is I've never had a hen go broody anyone have any idea why.

Some birds just Dont go broody, they dont want babies, and certain breeds are prone and not-prone to going broody, like my silkie gets broody 7 times a year it feels and I've never had my buttercup go broody! :D What breed are your bantams?

You can encourage broodiness by putting a clutch of fake eggs in a favorite nest. It doesn't always work but sometimes if they think there is a good batch to set someone might go broody. I got my Orpington to set that way, then slipped some chicks under her after 3 weeks. I use golf balls for my fake eggs, they are less expensive than ceramic eggs. Make sure the nest is somewhat secluded, some birds like curtains. Once you do get a broody, if you get one, you will want to check to make sure the others aren't laying eggs in the broody nest. I like to separate my broodies if I am going to use them to prevent this. In the end, it's up to the chickens to decide if they want to go broody.

thanks so much to you guys for the comments and answers I really do appreciate it. we are thinking about getting several silkie hens I'm supposed to pick up a silkie rooster Wednesday so maybe I'll have better luck with the silkie breed.

Actually buff orps are usually a good broody breed, as are cochins and definitely silkies. Some hatchery bred birds have had broodiness bred out of them.

Back
Top Bottom