NEW AT THIS......

socalchickmama

Hatching
May 19, 2016
Im new to raising chickens. I got my first 2 chicks a month ago. They were 2 days old and Ive treated them like theyre a household pet. THEN a week ago i got a wild hair up my rear and decided to get 2 more baby chicks. Anyways, starting maybe 30 mins ago, my month old silver phoenix (fast-roader is her name) and my week old Polish started chirping continuously, breathing faster than usual, has her tail pointed up, and shes really close to the ground (im assuming the "brooding" position). I have no idea as to why they are both doing this. Please help me help my babies

Is it too hot in there?

Brooding position wouldn't happen till fully mature at perhaps 6 months and up.

What is the ambient temperature?
Do you have a heat source?
What is the wattage?
What are the dimensions of the brooder?

Last edited:
I live in Southern California. ITs been pretty warm here so Ive only put the lamp on them at night. Its 300Watts. Im using a big rubbermaid tote as a brooder. And theyve only been in their brooder at night. Ive been letting them roam the yard during the day. This just started around 11;15 am today. Theyre both walking around but theyre walking with their bums close to the ground. My younger chicks bum looks a little pasty but it isnt bad at all. Ive cleaned her up all ready. My phoenix chick is just sitting on my lap , tail raised and bum doing a pullsating motion.

Could be constipation.
Have you given any probiotics? That is where I would start and cut way back on heat.
300watts is way too hot in a Rubbermaid tub. 75 watts would be sufficient in a tub indoors.
The highest wattage I've used was two 250 watt lamps in a 8'X8' space when it was 35 F in the building.

I once fried 2 chicks in a large tub with a 250.

Last edited:
Its been probably 2 days since Ive turned the lamp on for them. Its been pretty warm down here and they were all huddled on the opposite side so i figured they probably didnt need it anymore. Ive been lacking on their probiotic. its been about 2 days as well since theyve had the probiotic. Im really worried about my phoenix.

300 watts...throw that in the trash.
wink.png

That linked worked!

Poor thing I have no idea what is doing or what it could mean.
SOMEONE here will know.

I wish you luck.
I am going to keep an eye on this post to try to learns.

Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom