new at this

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ba13, Oct 9, 2012.

1. ba13

ba13 New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    Like the title says, I am totally new at this. I bought these two last weekend. The woman I bought them from claimed they were both female, but now I am not so sure about this one. Since everyone on here would know more than me, I ask for your help. boy or Girl? If you need a better pic, please say so.[​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    How old and what breed? Need decent pics of both their heads. Good side shots so we can see the feathers front to back would be nice too. The one I see looking out looks like a boy but I could be wrong. Depends on age, etc.

3. ba13

ba13 New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    the on facing the camera is a cochin, the one looking outside is an australorp. both are two months old. I was more worried about the cochin, but like i said, i don't know what Im doing. at work, will try to get some better pics up over lunch.

4. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC, you have come to the right place for an answer to your question. I had a similar inquiry 4 weeks ago, posted pictures, and everyone told me that my Maisy was a Duke!

Once I got the right photos up, the very helpful, knowledgable people let me know that he was a rooster!

what are you hoping to have? Two pullets, or is a pair what you want?

Hope you are happy with the outcome,

Again, Welcome!

MB

5. ba13

ba13 New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    do these help at all? I know they're not much better, but its all ive got on my phone right now.

6. ba13

ba13 New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    I was hoping for two pullets. Can't have roosters where I live.

7. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Hello and wlcome to BYC. I am new to this also, but the one in the second from bottom picture looks like a pullet to my untrained eye.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    [​IMG]

this pic shows a pullet to the left and a cockerel to the right. cochin pollets will not have combs that big and red at 2 months nor those wattles as well.

9. HiddenChicken

HiddenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep... I don't have a TON of experience, only 6 months. But, none of my 4 pullets had combs/wattles like that at 2 months. Dead giveaway, IMHO. It's a cockerel there on the right. :/

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I agree. The size is too big and the color too red for a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by