New at this

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sschicken, Aug 19, 2013.

1. sschicken

sschicken New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    Looking for dual breeds that will do well free range in east texan

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. sschicken

sschicken New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    Thank you. Hoping to get an idea of what breeds will do on in winters this and our hot months here in east Texas. What is the best way to raise meat chickens as well?

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, sschicken, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you here! Not sure what you are asking when you say the best way to raise meat chickens. Do you mean a coop or a tractor?
    On the various breeds from which to choose - you'll likely have no concerns about the winter - chickens handle cold with ease. Heat, however, can be a killer. Still, just about any breed will do okay if provided with cool, fresh water, access to breeze, and most importantly, shade. The Mediterranean breeds...Leghorns, Minorcas, Anconas, etc., with their large combs do well in high temps as heat is regulated out through their comb. But other breeds will thrive if the above conditions are met. You might check out this chart to explore some breeds. Good luck to you!

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

5. sschicken

sschicken New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    Thank you. Basically is it better to raise in a coop or is it ok to let them have free range.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

7. sschicken

sschicken New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    What's the best care for Bantums in winter. It can get in 20 s here but not for long periods of time. Worried what to do with my girls feathered feet this winter? Lol. They have an enclosed hen house in a large fenced enclosure is that enough?

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I think as long as the coop is draft free and has good ventilation they should be okay. I know the two seem to be at odds with each other but, a flock of chickens can produce a lot of heat when they are inside, if you don't have good ventilation - moisture forms - and the chickens get frostbitten.

9. sschicken

sschicken New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    Yes the nesting area and roost area is ventilated yet draft free. Prays girls feathers feet will be safe Think I will try and build onto their condo for extra space lol

10. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site and best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by