New at this

Birdman

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 27, 2007
Eastern USA
I was wondering if this coop idea sounded good.
I was thinking of pouring a six inch concrete foundation with wire mesh in it and extending six inches up the wall. Then there would be a mesh floor (when I say mesh I mean small, you couldn't fit a pinkie through it). Over the mesh I would again like to pour concrete, just to make cleaning with a flat bottom shovel quick and easy. I'm not sure the exact dimensions as I haven't yet decided how many chickens I want (help figuring that out would be appreciated). The door would have a signifigant step up making it impossible or at least very difficult for rats to slip in under it. I know this all sounds excessive but we have a pretty bad mouse/rat problem around here.
As for the run, would just enclosing it in 6 foot tall chicken wire work? I have plenty redtail hawks around here but a friend told me they only bother his chicks.
I'm sure I missed some stuff so any and all constructive criticism and suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

Excessive?? Maybe....but thats ok. As far as the chicken wire fencing....its only good to keep chickens IN, not predators out. Might want to rethink that part. Other than that, sounds great! We will of course want picks of the progress.

Will do, does 2 square feet per bird sound right in the henhouse? That's what I read but that sounds kind of small to me.

Quote:
Hi,welcome and good luck in the building....... I always double the space for my girls......... I am one who likes alot of room.......so I do it for my chicks too......if you have the space , go for it now.make it bigger. If you are like me and everyone else on here,you will want MORE MORE MORE
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
chickies later and then you will have enough room

Last edited:
That's what I was going to do, I just wanted to see if those numbers were right so I could figure out a mix capacity.

I believe most of us here use 4 sq. feet per standard size chicken for the coop. I use 8 to 10 sq. feet per bird for the run area.

As was posted, I always make it bigger, and end up with the 4 sq. ft. (because I get more chickens)...LOL

Jean

Back
Top Bottom