new auction peacock-PIC

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by krobin04, Sep 10, 2010.

1. krobin04

krobin04 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Lincoln County
    PIC ON MY PAGE help- we got a peacock last night at an auction- he looks like a heinz-57- beautiful fella. We have no info on this bird- not age not vax, nothin'. We need all and any advice. He is currently in our garage in a dog corral with a cover. Our chickens have been vax with ILT. He has no train- it is molted away. I will post a pic this evening on our page. Thank you thank you.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/59400_411.jpg[/img]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Once you put up a pic, someone will come along here and tell you what you have.

3. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

krobin04 help- we got a peacock last night at an auction- he looks like a heinz-57- beautiful fella. We have no info on this bird- not age not vax, nothin'. We need all and any advice. He is currently in our garage in a dog corral with a cover. Our chickens have been vax with ILT. He has no train- it is molted away. I will post a pic this evening on our page. Thank you thank you.

krobin04 how long ago was the vaccination given for ILT?

Never add birds from flocks that have had vaccination to ones that have not been vaccinated. Managers must obtain a complete vaccination history before adding birds to a flock (spiking). The un-vaccinated birds are highly susceptible to infection.
    Control vermin, dogs and other pests.
    Most documents too date indicate that poor bio-security allows the virus, wild or vaccine to spread to neighboring farms.
    Co-operative control of ILT outbreaks by collaboration between government and industry is most desirable.
    For control of an ILT outbreak, the most effective approach is a co-ordinated effort to obtain a rapid diagnosis, institute a vaccination program and prevent further virus spread

Vaccination: Friend or Foe?"
    General

When discussing vaccination, many people agree to disagree, about the need for vaccination, type of vaccines and the route of application. Never will you get a consistent and uniform response. Why? Because someone needs to make a firm statement about the liabilities of vaccination.

If vaccination is selected then it must be used via one application, consistent across the flock or the area designated as the vaccination zone. Too frequently, we face confidentiality in the challenge, inconsistency in the application, incomplete coverage and multiple product use. There seems to be no geographical designated area but haphazard application across all sites. Communication about vaccination is taboo, hence it gets out of hand, as vaccinated and recovered birds become the reservoir of infection due the latent carrier state. There needs to be control in the use of vaccines, especially in broilers. Who will step to the plate?

The industry must be sensitive to the fact that most ILT breaks in susceptible birds are derived from flocks vaccinated for this disease. With this said, if vaccination is to be implemented, then the following must or should be taken into consideration:

Can read the whole article here.
    http://www.canadianpoultry.ca/ilt.htm

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Most peacock this time of year, will not have a train. yes pics we may be able to help you with what type he is.

5. colleensstuff

colleensstuff Chillin' With My Peeps

6. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    yes he is a ib pied very pretty do you plan to put him in with your chickens or do you have a peacock pen?

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Blue Pied at least 2 yr old ,my guess even older by the spurs. I would worm him ,get him on a 20% feed. Worm with safe guard for goats 3 cc per gal. of water.

8. krobin04

krobin04 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Lincoln County
    Thank you for your responses- I will get that wormer. Also, I want to build a pen for them, our chicken pen is to capacity! We have them in a building we put up for some pheasants & guineas but they are too young yet to go out there. I have 3 wks to build something!!! Two yrs might be right on. He is fully grown size wise I think, and his train feathers are already growing back pretty long for him to be a yearling from what I have read.

9. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't tell from the photo- is that dirt or does he have some yellowish color along the back edge of the facial skin?

My first impression was he is a Pied Spalding, or has spalding blood in him.

10. bdfive

bdfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    Wow, he is pretty. His feathers being ruffled reminds me of a frizzle. Are there frizzle peafowl? I wouldn't have noticed him maybe having Spalding blood but could be. The crest doesn't look as flared and the head may have a Spalding look. Either way he looks like a real prize. What would I get if I breed my IB pied hen with a Java male?

Wilds of Pa, I read what you posted about ILT. It's frightening all the diseases poultry/fowl can get. Everyone I know around here in the country have chickens, ducks and peafowl. For a while I worried they would carry some disease in on their feet so I didn't encourage visitors which is sad. I've wondered if I should meet such people at their vehicle and disinfect their shoes but most folks would think I'm nuts. Does anyone else go through a process to take precautions? If so can you explain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by