New Austin BYC-er

joeyinSoAustin

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 2, 2014
South Austin
My wife "informed" me we had a chicken coming...
roll.png
.... BUT that is fine I have been wanting to start keeping chickens for awhile. I found this site shortly after and really appreciate it already. Informative, and well organized. Public thanks go out to: Ms. Gretchen for both hatching this hen in her preschool class, and to her son, who it turns out is terrified of chickens
hmm.png
Also to Brian and Andrea for leading the way as an example (they have a large coop), and to the City of Austin... who has recognized the good in not imposing harsh or draconian ordinances against just keeping some birds, and to the BYC trend in Austin, meaning there is an abundance of second hand coops, equipment, and resources on hand from those who found out it may not be for them.

Here is our setup so far: SMALL Coop with one fairly large New Hampshire Red named Chicken Love Hope. Name courtesy of our 5 year old daughter. We have a separate chicken yard and fenced back yard. I am an avid composter and have already explored chicken composting threads, and have the yard set up for this purpose. C-love is already helping out, knocking the pile down to the fences I installed to keep it contained. I am running pine bedding and nesting, with DTE setup for help. We will be free ranging, as possible, but will have to keep an eye out.. as our house backs up to a LARGE nature preserve and we have a larger than average urban predator count.... including a pair of LARGE owls that have always nested in the area above the chicken yard.
ep.gif

Goals: We would like to grow the coop soon to at least three to four, in the same breed for now. So anyone knowing sources for New Hapshires to Austin would be appreciated. I have already found great advice on integrating.. here is hoping it goes well.. I also need a larger coop, and probably an enclosed yard. We got our first egg this morning, and have been told this hen is an avid layer.

Well that is my introduction...

Hello Joey and Welcome. I'm a chicken newb as well just down the road from you in New Braunfels. I have 14 Silver-Laced Wyandotte chicks and 1 mystery chick in yellow. I just started on my coop and well.....I'm obviously not a carpenter. lol.

images

You might want to check in with your states thread and chat with others in your state and area for some possible leads on the birds you are looking for...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Be careful free ranging. I can't let my birds free range due to all the predators in the skies and lurking on the ground.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Thanks,Desert Dweller, headed there soon... My little brother kept chickens in NM for years, and I was born and raised in Las Cruces, finished college at UNM. Right now we are only allowing "supervised ranging" until I get the covered run finished, and a few more pairs of eyes integrated into a flock. And to be specific we will not be fully free ranging, but running a large run, with yard privileges when people are around.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Chickens are flock animals, so your hen should be happy with some additions, after they are introduced properly.

If you go to "where am I, where are you." in the social forum you can locate and post on your state thread. That will bring you in contact with people who may have the breeds you are seeking.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your first egg, good luck with your new girl and getting her some friends.

Thanks,Desert Dweller, headed there soon... My little brother kept chickens in NM for years, and I was born and raised in Las Cruces, finished college at UNM. Right now we are only allowing "supervised ranging" until I get the covered run finished, and a few more pairs of eyes integrated into a flock. And to be specific we will not be fully free ranging, but running a large run, with yard privileges when people are around.
You need to come back to New Mexico!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom