1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New AZ member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Adelicia, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Adelicia

Adelicia New Egg

Sep 11, 2013
    Hi,

I'm new to the group. While I helped raise chickens when I was a kid, I know I have forgotten a lot. Also, I'm in the greater Phoenix, AZ area and it is a lot different from raising them in Montana!

I'd love to get pointers on how to raise chicks in an area that gets this hot. Our chicks will be free range on a nearly acre lot. My wonderful neighbor is giving us their coop when they move so that part is covered. We will have the fence up soon and I would like to learn about what else we should get ready before we get chicks. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] go to "where am I, where are you." a tab in the social forum. Once there locate and post on the Arizona thread and see how others manage the climate. I know one person that air conditioned his coop.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I used to keep chickens in an extremely hot climate and what I found helped is hosing down a section or their run daily so they had muddy puddles to cool their feet in, making sure they had plenty shady spots to hang out in and of course, lots of cool water to drink.

5. ederob

ederob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    [​IMG]

6. wv leipers

wv leipers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    free ranging is tough ,i have 40 free range chickens and a great pyraneese dog NO PROBLEMS WITH PREDATORS ON THE GROUND OR IN THE AIR peace wv leipers

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by