New AZ Member

AzOrRn25

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 28, 2013
Arizona
Hello,
My boyfriend and I recently decided to get into the back yard chicken trend... I have to admit I was very very hesitant at first. I love animals but have never had any experience caring for birds. So after many weeks of research and debating we purchased 10 chicks from the local feed stores. We have 3 RIR, 2 EE's, 2 SLW, 2 BR, and 1 brown leghorn. The boyfriend wanted the eggs to be a variety of colors. The first night home I believe I was up every hour checking on them. I had this weird fear that the heat lamp I had purchased the same day would burn out and they would freeze to death, among many other random fears that kept invading my dreams. The chicks spent 4-5 weeks in a large box in our bathroom while we built our coop. They are now outside in their new space and loving all the room they have recently acquired. Currently they are 5-6 weeks and are happy and healthy. I feel very lucky to have had no major issues with my chicks and have come to really enjoy them. They are beginning to develop personalities, while not all of them are good personalities, I still enjoy seeing them and interacting with them each day. They seem to change so much overnight right now and I cant believe how much they have grown in this short time. I think this website is amazing and I have learned so much. I don't think my chicks would be so happy and healthy today if not for the information I have found on here so thank you very much :)

Thank you. Any advice to share with a new chicken owner you wish someone would have told you before you started raising chickens?

I wish someone would have told us about "chicken math" we now have over 150 with the chicks included and everyday I see another breed I just cant live without. There all so cool. Now this weekend we will have 5 birds in a APA show and god help us if we win anything. It's so addicting.
Welcome and enjoy BYC!
Steve :frow

Last edited:
Thank you. I am learning about this "chicken math". We have the ten which was too many in my mind to start out with and this week the boyfriend wants to get 2 black copper marans...every time I go to the feed store I have to seriously restrain from buying more chicks. They are just too cute !

Here are some of the chicks enjoying their new coop. They are really happy to be out of the box in my bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom