1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Babes Have arrived!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pellepeterson, Mar 6, 2013.

1. pellepeterson

pellepeterson Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    The Woods of Maine
    Just got them at the local feed n seed, three leghorns and three "black star sex-links". We are so very excited! We welcome any and all pointers...I am working on the pellepeterson coop "Coup de Jules" named after the love of my life!

I am having a hard time convincing my better half of all the research I have done about 4 square feet per chick...please help me!!! I am borrowing from all of the designs you have posted here on BYC and will have plenty of pics along the way for your enjoyment! Thank you all for this site and thank you ahead of time for your assistance!

2. Congrats on your new chicks and [​IMG].

3. JesseK

JesseK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    IA
    Yay for babies! I have my 6 ladies in a 3x4' coop. So they only have two sq ft per bird. However, they have a much larger run than is recommended...over 500 sq ft. And their run is fairly well protected against the elements, so they are really only in their coop to sleep or if it is really snowing/raining/blowing. So far they are doing great... Are you planning on getting any more chickens later on? In that respect, bigger can be better...I had no idea how addicting raising chickens would be. If I didn't live in town, I don't even want to think about how many I would have [​IMG] Just an idea that you might want room to grow.
    Congrats on your new girls!

4. pellepeterson

Mar 3, 2013
    The Woods of Maine
    I appreciate the info on the coop size, I want to have the option available quickly to "expand"...I am sitting in my office now, with my Xerox box full of pine shavings and chicks...peep peep peep peep peep...I am trying to get a presentation on the endocrine system done for tomorrows paramedic class...they are not helping!! LOL!

Maybe I will shorten the coop a bit, the run is going to start under the coop, then in a few more weeks I will stretch it out, the ground is still a bit frozen here in Maine and I have to dig deep for my coyote/egret/weasel/raccoon/skunk/big foot digging critter stopper idea...I will post pics as soon as my torture device is finished! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAH

5. pellepeterson

Mar 3, 2013
    The Woods of Maine
    Update: One of my black star sex links was a far cry more sluggish than the others, I called the feed/n/seed and was told that his were doing great! Well...I am a medical professional so I laid it out for him...the mental status of one of my chicks was less than the normal exhibited by the other two, so..I will be there soon!

Sad and fortunate at the same time: I put the wee one in the travel box she came in, headed literally one minute down the street in my EMS Fly car (a Ford Explorer with emergency lights and sirens) and headed to the feed/n/seed. On my arrival the owner promptly opened the box, grabbed the little fuzz ball and said "she'll come out of it in a minute" as he put her back in the brooder and grabbed another one. I admitted that I am new at chickens, and appreciated his help. I asked about coop sizes and egg production in these birds and he was a wealth of information, honestly! He has 44 birds, cranks out eggs all day and night. We talked about rotation of stock every year or so to keep up production and when I told him we had 4 kids and a dog, he looked at me and asked if I wanted two more chicks!

Who am I to refuse such sweet fuzzy little creatures, so of course I said yes! As we approached the brooder, I noticed the little babe that I had just dropped off was laying on her back, feet up, not moving. I am a medical professional as I said, and it pained me to see that she was dead. That was the sad part, the fortune is that now, we have 8 chicks, 4 of each breed, and they are all happy, peeping little creatures who are now eagerly trying to escape the xerox box on my desk!

6. akchick76

akchick76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    So sad to hear about the chick, yet so nice to hear how wonderfully helpful the man was. Wish there were more like him.

7. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    Sorry to hear about the baby :( But it's great to know you got them from someone knowledgeable! All too often feedstores sell chicks and know nothing about them and are unable to answer a new owner's questions. Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information browsing through here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by