New babies and mail order together??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tuffy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. tuffy

tuffy Chirping

Apr 2, 2009
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Good morning, My faithful hen Lola hatched 8 chicks late yesterday! She was not sucessful the first batch(sat 24 days, nothing) She was so intent that I slipped another 8 eggs under her (after removing the bad ones) and she has been on the nest for a total of 44 days(getting off to eat and drink only) Finally her reward is here!
    Since I didn't know if she would hold on for the second 3 weeks I ordered on line, 15 minimum order chicks. The will arrive in minutes to my post office~ Can I slip them in with her brand new brood? Should I wait until tonight? How about a few every few hours and see if shes goes for it? How many could a Buff Orp Mom handle at once. OR should I just raise them myself?? lots of questions, thanks for any info or related discussion. So much going on~ Whew

2. She may accept them. I would put them under her at night so she wakes up with them, but be there so you can remove them if she rejects them. Should work though. Make sure they have room in their pen.......Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: