new babies and odd ball hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kimf, Apr 14, 2012.

1. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    I have a Polish that was part of a 7 hen flock. After being together for 5 months the other hens (a barred plymouth, 2 BOs, a NH red and 2 austalorps) started picking on her and pulling head feathers. She was a mess! We removed her and let her heal and tried, on several occasions, to reintroduce her. At least 3 of the other hens immediately started pecking at her head. Poor Poppy just cowered in the corner as they teamed up on her. Obviously we removed her full time.

I now have 5 new babies (3 EEs and 2 more polish). I am thinking that if we put the babies with Poppy and reintroduce them all into the coop/run in a bit we may have better success. Not only will we have 2 flocks of 6 but 3 polish. Yes or No? Good idea?

Also, at what age can we put the babies with Poppy. I was thinking about 2 weeks old. We are in central Florida, so by then they will only need the heat lamp evening to morning as we are already into the 80s daily.

Then at what age should I try to put them all into the coop?

I appreciate any advice or guidance!! Thanks all!

2. RachelCheyenne

RachelCheyenne Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    Kentucky
    I'm a little confused...are you saying keep Poppy with your new chicks and have two seperate flocks or after a bit of them being together combine flocks?
    I think keeping it two flocks would be best. My sis just turned her month old chicks in with her full grown ones and one hen bullied them some but they're all running around together now. When you put her with the chicks just make sure she isn't too aggressive with them, if she is-seperate them and try again periodically for small amounts of time.
    Hope this helps! :)

3. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    Yes, that's the hope.

In two weeks or so put the adult Polish and the five 2-3 week old chicks together; when the babies don't need the heat light during the day and are big enough to no squeeze through the pen pieces. If all goes well, keep them together. If not separate and try again later.

If we can get the polish and the babies to form a flock, then put that flock in with the existing flock (that picked on the polish initially) as the babies get bigger.

I would love to just keep two flocks, but we do not have the resources for another coop/run to house 6 hens. I built my existing coop planning for 12 hens.

At what age/size is good to introduce Poppy and the babies into the coop/run with the other hens. We have Poppy in a "puppy pen." One of those snap together gate panels that you can put puppies in. It will expand as we add the babies and panels to about 25 square feet.

Again, thanks for input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by