New babies are here and getting cozy (with pics)

ChickityChina

Songster
Feb 18, 2016
Carroll County, Maryland
So after what seems like an eternity of waiting, I went and picked up my six new chicklets this morning. My little flocklet consists of three Easter Eggers, two Black Australorps, and one Golden Comet. I was planning on getting a RIR in the mix somewhere, but after an hour and a half the store sold out! Wow! So i ended up with a second Australorp instead.

The girl at the feed store was a sweetheart and let me choose by placing my hand down and letting them come to me. I chose the most cuddly, super-friendly chicks that ran up to my hand instantly and sat there snuggling. It was precious. The one little brown EE actually nestled in and fell asleep instantly in my palm. She didn't want to get off for anything lol.

So here are the pics of our bunch:

This is my daughter Aine with her "baby tickees"

Getting their explore on - finding the food tray and the water bottle

Finding - whatever it is SHE is looking at

They LOVE the tunnel I made from an old grits container!!

This is the tiny brown EE that fell asleep on my hand. She is a real cuddly thing.

Here is the brooder - for now - until they get larger and go in a bigger one in the garage.

Edited to add:
Pics of my babies!

So - I have been checking them every half hour or so and so far the two Australorps and one of the EEs has gotten the water bottle to work for them. For the Golden Comet and the other two EEs, I keep tapping the ball with their beaks and they will drink what falls out, but they haven't done it on their own yet. Every time one starts drinking, a few others come over to see what she's doing, so I'm hoping they'll follow the others' example.

Also - I had NO idea what a huge hit that tunnel would be! OMGosh they keep darting through it and running around the brooder in a circle and coming back through it again, like there will be something new and exciting through the other side. It is hilarious to watch. My daughter squeals every time one pops out of the tunnel.

Last edited:
Yes. The Speckled Sussexes that I ordered at the same time all died :-( so I am getting a second shipment in May with replacemrnts for both...plus a few extra breeds since chicken math struck me pretty hard pretty early!

Yes. The Speckled Sussexes that I ordered at the same time all died :-( so I am getting a second shipment in May with replacemrnts for both...plus a few extra breeds since chicken math struck me pretty hard pretty early!

Awesome! I'm sorry your first chicks died though. Hope you get your Australorps this time round - they really are beautiful birds - and the chicks are (thus far) adorable little sweeties.

So - I have been checking them every half hour or so and so far the two Australorps and one of the EEs has gotten the water bottle to work for them. For the Golden Comet and the other two EEs, I keep tapping the ball with their beaks and they will drink what falls out, but they haven't done it on their own yet. Every time one starts drinking, a few others come over to see what she's doing, so I'm hoping they'll follow the others' example.

Also - I had NO idea what a huge hit that tunnel would be! OMGosh they keep darting through it and running around the brooder in a circle and coming back through it again, like there will be something new and exciting through the other side. It is hilarious to watch. My daughter squeals every time one pops out of the tunnel.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom