New babies being rejected HELP!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by laurendianne, Nov 3, 2016.

1. laurendianne

laurendianne New Egg

Nov 3, 2016
    Hi all,
    So we had a broody Bantam and after 2 weeks we decided to add 5 newborn chicks under her at night. The first night went well and they all slept tight. Last night we checked in on them around 8pm and they were all tucked in again under her wing. This morning I have 3 babies that are scared of her and she is pecking at them when they get too close. The other two chicks are following her around and she is feeding them watching them. Do we need to remove the three huddled in the corner back to the brooder? We are new to raising chicks and need advice! Thanks in advance!!!

2. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    I have tried to slip chicks under a broody hen before and the same thing happened.
    The hen never really took them under her wing and constantly pecked at their heads, I ended up putting them back in the brooder. If the hen doesn't start taking care of them she will either peck them to death or starve them. To allow a broody hen to care for adopted chicks, you should make sure you are willing to lose a few.

3. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    I suggest you put the three back in the brooder, unless you can keep constant supervision on the hen

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! I agree that it's past time to move those rejected chicks back to the brooder, right away. Two weeks is way too long an age gap; I'd never risk new chicks this way. Mary

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I would put them back in the brooder because the cold can kill them fast.

Maybe try tucking them under her again in the middle of the night if you don't think they will get chilled. And if the same thing happens... maybe the brooder is best. [​IMG]

What did you do with the eggs she was sitting on?

Good luck! [​IMG]

6. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Also, the trick to allowing a broody hen to adopt chicks is to get them when they are about 3 to 5 days old so they look recently hatched. Then, while the hen is sleeping, slip them under her so it appears as if they hatched beneath her. This way she will assume they are hers

1 person likes this.
  7. laurendianne

laurendianne New Egg

Nov 3, 2016
    Thanks for all the responses. We got all 5 chicks under her when they were less than 24 hours old. She was 2-3 weeks into the brooding process. She seems to have taken to the dark colored chicks and exiled the light. We pulled the light chicks and put them back in the brooder.

8. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Good choice. If you are looking into raising chicks using a broody hen, I suggest getting a few fertilized ready to hatch eggs and slipping them under the hen, that way, they will hatch under her.

9. RADjr

RADjr Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    North central Illinois
    I am working on getting my Americauna's to nest . how many days do I leave the rooster in wit the hens?

10. RADjr

RADjr Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    North central Illinois
    How many eggs can one chicken brood at a time ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by