New Babies.. Different color??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by adubsroit, Jan 26, 2011.

1. adubsroit

adubsroit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Hatched out some Japanese quail (last few hatched today) and am have some questions as to their colors. A few of the tuxedos are awesome; pattern is pretty even and the black on them is very dark, with just a touch of red. However, some of the chicks have colors that are very intermediate (to my knowledge) to the Tibetan [Dark Range] and Brown but not registering to me as Rosetta [Range]. Until other wise noted I will just assume this color is just a uniquely stripped Rosetta.

Here is the little booger [was the easiest to get a hold of]:
    [​IMG]
    I love the red color, of the birds who look like similar this is the one with the reddest coloration.

[​IMG]
    Here it is, to the left of the Brown.

[​IMG]
    Here it is again at the bottom, those stripes are really what throws me off.

[​IMG]
    ..and there it is trying to hide off the the right. The Tuxedo is awesome, really digging the patterning and color; the black would be solid aside from two small touches of red on its tail.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Cute! The close up one is a Rosetta for sure.

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] oh my gosh! That little tux is darling!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yep, it's a rosetta.

5. adubsroit

Apr 9, 2010
    Next question: why so striped?? From what I have seen of Rosetta online, and in my own experience, the strip pattern on them wasn't so defined; more an overall rusty colored black.

Taking into consideration that most of my Rosettas then have nicely defined stripes (though not all so defined) it would be safe to assume that the Tibetans would be void of patterning really, save their Tuxedo markings and touches of rust/red here and there??

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine usually are striped like that, it's hard to differentiate them between the browns sometimes.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:X2! CUTE LIL ROSETTA [​IMG]

8. adubsroit

Apr 9, 2010
    Quote:Agreed. Any chance it will be a tuxedo, or partially tuxedo in it's markings? The male I had in with it's mother [a tuxedo split] was an English White.

I sat there and just kept staring to get some ideas to what their colors were. On the plus side they're much less skittish about me being around them (in comparison to my last hatch) and they're only 2-3 days old. Of all the quail in this hatch the Rosettas are the most inquisitive. For fun I run my finger about two inches above them and they chase it, then I'll stop and they stop. It's a miniature game of Simon Says meets tag that the whole family can enjoy, lol [​IMG]

Our English Springer Spaniel [field bred] knows that when he is around the babies he is a "good boy" and makes sure to "sit" and only look. He may be less than a year, just 9 months, but he knows his manners around our birds. This last December one of the Rosettas escaped, due to an only partially closed cage door, and to my BF and my surprise he brought her to us. He has had very little soft-mouth training but managed to calmly pick her up from the other side of the house and set her next to the bed (it was about 7 a.m.). I can only think to be eternally grateful that his parents were excellent soft-mothers and pointers, he often times reminds us as to just where exactly the ducks/quail/chickens are for no other reason than being a good boy [​IMG]

Sorry for the random ramblings.. [​IMG]

9. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Beautiful babies!! And that little tux if going to grow into a very good looking bird.

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm going to say no, or at most 'maybe'. It might have some white markings on it but it won't be a full tuxedo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by