New babies here, I have a question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Thegirlsclub, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Thegirlsclub

Thegirlsclub Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Hi, we brought home our new little girls today, they are so precious. My question is do young chicks sleep all night like grown hens? Do I need to check on them during the night?

Thanks, I'm kind of a nervous new mom.

2. StephanieH

StephanieH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Mine seemed to do naps until at least two weeks and then sensed night and day more. by three weeks they didn't need the warming light and they really got regular in their sleeping habits. Now they make a fuss when they settle in and when they wake up and don't make much noise at night No need to check on them at night, although I did! (Unless you here a steady/loud/odd cheep that might mean they are cold or distressed)

3. Thegirlsclub

Thegirlsclub Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Okay, thank you so much. They seem pretty quiet so I guess I'll try to get some rest :)

4. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    I totally agree with StephanieH! My girls are 2 and 3 weeks old now and I just noticed that by morning their waterer is a LOT less messy than it used to be because instead of waking up all night and making a mess of it, they are sleeping a lot more at night. It doesn't take them long to figure it out I guess! I am still using our red brooder light though, because they're in the coop and it's only in the 40s at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by