new babies how to care for them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by big m70726, Aug 17, 2011.

1. big m70726

big m70726 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    My neighbors friend gave them some eggs their chicken hatched them so they have 4 new babies do they feed them or will the hen do it even though she its the one who laid them she is the one who hatched them? at what age do they start to feed and what ? do they gave them water bowls in the carrier ? should they keep them away from the rooster? any and all help is appercaited thanks.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:The mom will show them where the food is and water. Make sure there's some of both at all times available -chick crumbles medicated or not-medicated is for preventing cocci -which can kill them at such a young age but is very preventable with the feed to build and immunity against it. The only time I would separate is if you see aggression towards the babies-the mom will be VERY protective but cannot protect them all the time. We use broody cages--large cages-mom and babies stay in it for a few weeks right with the other birds so they can see eachother. Then after about 3 weeks I open the door to the cage to allow momma out -She will decide if its safe for her and her babies. At night I lock them back up and morning leave the door open all day...again make sure there's plenty of feed and water in that cage:)

3. big m70726

big m70726 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    They just have them in a bin or bucket like no lid in the pin I gave them a closed box that my hens used to nest in before I made my nestin boxes but there spanish and am not sure if they understand I was thinkin that the mom would rather have something with a lid or closed to feel safer than what they had for her. there is just the 1 hen and the babies 1 roosters should I try to get them to understand that she needs the box with the lid? and do I need to put the food and water in with her and the babies?

4. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    absolutely food and water! A lid would be nice as well [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by