New babies... ID and advice.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Goosegrrl, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Goosegrrl

Goosegrrl Songster

Jul 16, 2015
    Central FL
    I picked up four goslings today. Just got them home an hour or so ago. I was looking for Pilgrims, and was told that there were 3, and one 'other'. I've been wanting Pilgrims for a while and had no luck in my area, so I jumped on them.
    Once I went to pick them up there appeared to be a pair of Pilgrims that have been down picked(and look a bit thin, but then... I've never seen a gosling sans down), and two oddballs, that are supposed to be a male and a female(I'm not holding my breath).
    First... what to do for the babies showing skin. No actual skin damage is evident, just naked of down.
    Second... I'm positive the smaller/lighter colored baby is a white Chinese, but the big one I'm not so confident about. Emden is my guess. It is just huge next to the other 3.
    I have them in the shower with the light on this evening because I felt they could really use some feed and water. Yeah, It's kind of a mess in no time at all of course.

TIA.

Attached Files:

kumquat likes this.
  2. Goosegrrl

Goosegrrl Songster

Jul 16, 2015
    Central FL
    Lord have mercy... the big one has got to be an embden... I've never seen anything grow so fast!
    I took a look and the embden is a boy... the white chinese appears to be a girl. So I guess I'll use them for a meat cross as I'm not keen on keeping lots of them around.
    My primary focus is the Pilgrims... and I'm hoping they turn out with decent color. I can't seem to find any available that aren't from hatchery stock unfortunately, and will be messaging a couple of breeders about pairs or trios next season. Good breeder stock seems shamefully hard to come by.

roxy87 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: