New babies...not sure on breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by redfancy78, Feb 19, 2014.

1. redfancy78

redfancy78 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    Hi Everyone!

Well my daughter talked me into getting two more chicks for our flock. We were told they are a lavender orphington and red sex link. The grey one has little feathers running down it's legs, so my daughter insists it going to be a rooster...lol...I hope not, we already have a feisty black bantam rooster who attacks me when I enter the coop...lol...any thoughts on these babies? Also they were $9/each which seemed really high priced to me...thanks for any information you can provide!
    [​IMG]

2. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I dont think Lavender Orpington chicks have feathered legs.but I could be wrong, I just dont remember mine having any feathering on tye legs.
    As so the other, it looks to be a sex link.

3. redfancy78

Aug 20, 2013
    Yeah that's what I was wondering and pics online maker him/her look more like a blue orpington so I'm wondering about that too...a google search said that some show lines have feathers on the legs? Of course we know how reliable google can be.....

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Orpingtons don't have feathered legs. It would be a disqualification for showing, not part of the breed at all. You might have a cochin, that's the most common feather footed straight combed bird in that color. Another option might be Marans. Feathers on the legs have nothing to do with gender, sorry to your daughter.

The other chick could be a red sex link, there are few breeds that look awfully similar this young.

I think the price was pretty high, especially since you didn't get what you were told. I can get red sex link chicks at the feed store for around $3 each all season. But if you were happy with it, it must have been okay!

5. redfancy78

Aug 20, 2013
    that was the price at our feed store...I had no idea because I assumed they were going to be under $4 like another feed store we went to last year...she had already picked them out and put them in her little carrier...it wasn't until they rung up our purchases that I about killed over in shock, but I couldn't disappoint her at that point...well I guess I'll just have to see what they end up looking like [​IMG]

6. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I'm guessing either blue cochin or blue marans , with the Cochin being more likely. The other doesn't look like a sex link, it could be a welsummer, brown leghorn, dark cornish or a half dozen other breeds depending on the hatchery that supplies the store.

7. redfancy78

Aug 20, 2013
    Here are some more pics[​IMG]

8. redfancy78

Aug 20, 2013
    [​IMG]

9. redfancy78

Aug 20, 2013
    So it appears I grabbed the nlue copper maran...oops, luckily same price as the lavender orpingtons...got two more today (red/blue)

The immediately cuddle up to their hatchmates

10. redfancy78

Aug 20, 2013
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by