New Babies - Pic!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Reyvaughn, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    So, I have been admiring Kat's (Peachick) lovely blue Ameraucana eggs for some time but I couldn't justify spending that much money on hatching eggs - here's why...

I had been looking for some hatching eggs, but I had a complete fail at hatching 56 bantam Cochins this last month so I kind of pushed that off, but was still playing with the possibility. I found an auction for Blue Wheaton/Wheaton Ameraucana eggs from John Blehm lines, which I missed. I PMed the person and asked if she was selling more. I noticed she was kind of local and inquired about possibly picking them up. Well, her one hen went broody, so egg production was down. I also discovered she had Lav Orps and I was looking for more Lav Orps to add to my flock, too. The BYC member is Noriko, and I discovered she is only about 40mins from us! Of course, it took us over and hour to get there because my navigator got us lost. Husbands...

She offered me chicks instead of eggs and I came home with 5 Lav Orps and the only 4 Blue Wheaton/Wheaton Ameraucanas she had in the brooder! The 5th Lav Orp was even a free chick! I have had them for a week now and everyone is still strong and vigorous. Here they are last week when I got them home:

[​IMG]

I can't wait to see what their genders are! I am going to be looking for a few more Ameraucanas... Now to build them their own coop. I'm still working on the Cochin Condo! My poor husband... He laid down a new rule today. No more chickens until the current coop project is done.

[​IMG]

ETA
    (At least he didn't say no more chickens at all, right? We are up to about 95 now.)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    [​IMG] how cute!!

4. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    How beautiful they are! They look like antique Christmas ornaments or something Martha Stewart would use to decorate a mantle piece! I mean all chicks are cute, but yours...WOW. I'm going to have to go find some photos of what they'll look like as adults. Congrats!

5. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    How wonderful!!! They're too cute [​IMG]

6. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    They are ELEGANT!! 95? OO me gosh!! I have four big ones and got a shipment of 29 today. I thought I have way too many chickies. lol.
    I only plan to keep a few of them, but 95? That would scare me, hehe........Are they all free ranged?

7. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Most are free range. I have two older boys who are not allowed out with the girls and 14 in the brooder or breed specific cages for right now. I also have about 20-25 that need to go for processing when they are older (another month or two depending on how obnoxious they get). I really love my chickens and thankfully we have the room for as many as I can afford to feed. Sadly, we do need to find a place to move. Our landlady's health is failing and I know her kids/grandkids won't be allowing us to stay on. I am worried about how I am going to house them when we move. I know I won't move were I can't have them or can't have them all. It sounds weird, but I know each one and love them all (mostly - I don't get friendly with the babies until I know genders because I don't want to eat a pet). Even if about half are still to flighty for me to catch or touch. They still know who the feed bag is and come running when I have treats.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    They are gorgeous!!! I just started my little chicken endeavor but hope to one day have some Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas to add to the bliss!!

10. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by