New Babies***PICS ADDED***

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pennyhen, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Pennyhen

Pennyhen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Kuna
    I picked up 11 chicks yesterday from a local hatchery (Dunlap in Caldwell Idaho) As I drove home I put my hand in the box with them and they all tried to get under it, It was cool to have a bunch of little chickies cuddling under my hand.
    So now I have them home in their brooder and I decided I will handle them several times a day because I want them as pets/companions. Already they arent scared of being lifted, as long as I move slowly and when I cup them in my hands and stroke their backs gently they lay down and fall asleep in a few seconds or nuzzle their little beaks in between my fingers and roll around in my hand, always fairly quietly, little chirps but never distressed loud peeps. Does this resemble chick behavior while under mama?
    I want to believe this is a step in the right direction but, you who have experience with chicks, is this something they just do or am I doing something right in getting them to be tame?
    I will continue to do it this way, they seem very content and comfortable so I think I probably have the temp/food/water thing right.
    What do some of you think?
    Thank you,
    Laurie

Edited to add;
    I guess I should tell you what I got! I have 2 araucana pullets and one cockrel, he has tufts on his face. 2 barred rock pullets, 2 RIR pullets and 4 Buff Orpington pullets. I will add them, when they are old enough, to the 3 I have now. one mixed banty roo, one mixed banty hen and a mixed polish crested hen that lays blue eggs. The 3 were given to me last summer and I decided I must have more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Hi Laurie and welcome to this awesome website!! [​IMG] So you, like everyone here, has been bitten by the chicken bug, huh? LOL Happens all the time!! LOL

Yes, it sounds like you are doing everything right. When they are brand new, they don't fear hands yet so just keep handling them like you're doing and they should be very tame by the time you move them out with the others. Congratulations and have fun!! Could you post some pictures, by any chance??

3. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Put some chick feed in your hand and let them feed from it. That way they associate your hand with feed. Congratulations on your new chicks and [​IMG]

4. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Congratulations on your new fuzzbutts!
    Seems like you're doing everything right: I wouldn't worry! [​IMG]
    Oh yeah, and WELCOME TO BYC!!! [​IMG]

5. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Oh! I forgot! When are we going to get pictures of the fuzzbutts??? At BYC, we LOVE pictures!!! [​IMG]

6. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Hey! Welcome to BYC! There are quite a few of us Idaho folks on here! We were just talking about Dunlap. Do you like them? You will have to keep us updated on the health of your chicks so we can see if they raise heathy chicks. Congrats!

7. Pennyhen

Pennyhen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Kuna
    Hiya,
    All my babies are doing great! a couple of pastie butt cleanings for only 3 of them.
    They are so quiet! mostly just happy soft chirping going on and they all seem to get along well, I feel lucky there!
    I have a couple of "toys" in the brooder for them, an upside down basket with small handles that tips back and forth like a see saw, they seem to like to play "queen of the mountain" on it, and 2 red wooden beads hanging by a strong cord from the top, they like to jump up at it.
    My "brooder" is 2 large cardboard boxes that I cut a little doorway into so they have 2 rooms. I used newspaper on the floor covered with straw. I change the straw every other day. so far so good. They still like to be held and lay down in my palm and fall asleep in seconds when I cup them in between my hands and talk to them.
    I do have pics as soon as I figure out how to post them I will.
    I am pretty happy with Dunlap Hatchery, you need to order ahead to be sure they will have what you want. I wanted Silver Laced Wyandottes but they didnt have any.

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by