New Babies Today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sonomachic, Feb 6, 2017.

1. sonomachic

sonomachic Out Of The Brooder

Our youngest hen started brooding in Jan and I jotted down the date and prepared for hatching. The first chics were hatched yesterday and one more today right on the 21st day. There is one trying to hatch tonight. I'm worried because it's had a pip hole since early this morning. I've read so much on BYC about assisting or not assisting. I think I've decide to relax and let it hatch on its own. This is my first go at raising chickens since the early 70's ( too long ago to remember anything LOL). This is my first experience with brood hens and chics. I tried to buy medicated starter today at Tractor Supply and they didn't have it. Is it really necessary? If using regular starter feed do I use supplements? Any suggestions is appreciated.

Sonoma Chic

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I always feed medicated starter!! ...I never take the chance of them getting sick. ...It also is fine for broody Hens to eat while setting and raising her chicks.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Personally I wouldn't sweat it too much - regular starter feed is perfectly fine and there should be no particular need to add vitamin supplements / electrolytes to their water.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

The medicated feed is for prevention of cocci only. I've found broody raised chicks don't have cocci issues much, as they're out and about on the dirt first thing and build good tolerance and immunity. So, I'd just go with the regular starter,

Keep an eye out for cocci symptoms--the first being chicks that huddle up all fluffed out and are reluctant to move, progressing to lethargy and bloody diarrhea. At onset of symptoms you should treat with Corid in their water. This should still be available. maybe not at TSC, I've read they've reacted oddly to the new regulations. But you can purchase it at other feed stores, or on line.

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!

I choose not to use medicated feed.
    But I do have a package of Corid powder on hand that I bought as a nervous newbie.....still have it after 4 years, as I've never needed it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by