new babies-two free from TSC

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by artsyrobin, Apr 3, 2009.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Hi everyone, here are my new babies, the first was given to me at TSC because he was being picked on- any idea what he is? the second was in the banty bin and not responsive, he is taking drops of water on his beak, a little more responsive, any suggestions on what else i might to help it? the other two are from our Orschlens Farm Store, a roo chick (i hope) BO, and an Ameracauna pullet...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Poly visol WITHOUT iron is a good vitamin supplement for one that is compromised. I'm not sure what the dosage is - maybe search on here? It's imperative that you keep him hydrated and get him eating if you can. Some sugar in his water may help, but you really shouldn't do that more than a few days. Good luck!

3. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

The top pictured chick looks to be doing well. The tiny one, if over 3 days, is going to need some nutrition. I suggest you make a watery slurry from th chick starter and drop that along the side of the beak.
    There are some chick feeding nutritive starter concoctions sold from hatcheries, but I don,t think you have enough time to order and wait.

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Well, the little one didn't make it, i honestly am surprised he lasted that long, but at least he wasn't trampled to death....sigh

5. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Awwww....poor baby! The others look nice! Thanks for sharing!

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Awe, I'm sorry. I'm glad you tried to save him, though! [​IMG]

7. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Aww, that is too bad. You're right, at least he didn't get trampled.

8. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I am glad you let him have a chance though. The others are cute.

9. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Here are some new pics of the little guys- i am really hoping the BO is a roo, I looked at his wings, compared to the girls, how accurate is wing sexing?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i have done various bird rescue- and as someone once told me- sometimes we are hospice care... just couldn't leave the little one to be trampled

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by