New babies under heating pad ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mooseb, Feb 23, 2017.

1. mooseb

mooseb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2017
    We just received our new chicks today. They have been eating and drinking well but when I leave them alone they are pretty much huddled under the heating pad. Is this normal for the first day? They seem lively enough and their eating and drinking has been good enough, that I'm not that worried just wondering if this is normal behavior or if I need to warm things up. Thank you for your help.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    That is very normal. Where did you get them? This is essentially the same way they would be under a mother hen for the first day or two, and then you will see them starting to become more active.

1 person likes this.
  3. mooseb

Feb 1, 2017
    Thank you so much for the quick reply. We got them from cackle hatchery. They seemed pretty good when we got them open from the post office, they shipped yesterday and we received them this morning so they weren't in transit too long. As I said they seem to be in pretty good spirits other than when they're huddled under the pad. Thanks for setting my mind at ease!

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Mine are at the post office right now, shipped from Cackle. I was not expecting them until tomorrow so they have to sit there for another two hours :(. I hope they are all in good condition like yours!

5. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on New Egg

Nov 30, 2016
    we got ours yesterday and they are pretty much doing the same thing. they come out eat, drink, run around for a bit then back under for a while. Then they do it all over again. I remember when I raised chickens the 1st time (many years ago) watching them do the same thing from under a broody hen.

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

I too agree they sound like they are doing well and just getting used to their new surroundings. I use a heat plate and they sure do like to get under there for a warm and to charge up before they come out again.
    Good luck with your new babies.

Good luck with your new chicks :fl Cackle sure do sound like they do good shipping of the chicks.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    They spend a good amount of time sleeping at first but as long as there are bursts of activity, all is well! If they were cold, they'd complain incessantly and loudly. Believe me, you'd know!

8. mooseb

Feb 1, 2017
    Thanks everybody. We're using a heat plate and it seems good so far. We weren't expecting them until tomorrow too,today was a surprise so I let my kids be late to school so they could help be set up the brooder and get the chicks from the post office. I'm sure they're dying to come home! Good luck with all your chicks.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    SO TRUE!
    Congrats on your new additions @mooseb - and welcome to the obsession that is chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by