New babies! What breed? Pic heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrslb333, Sep 20, 2010.

1. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Hiya. On a recent visit to a farm park with my children I bought some free range eggs from the shop knowing perfectly well that they had been laid by the hens on the farm all of which are kept in breed specific pens. They were selling full grown chickens for £20+ so I figured £1.80 for 6 eggs was a bargain if they were fertile, well all 6 hatched 2 of the babies died in an incident with 2 day old ducklings being too rough, a mistake I won't be making again [​IMG]
    The breeds I know they have are Cuckoo maran ( the three black ones hatched from dark terracotta eggs so thinking this is a likely breed ) They also have Brahma's, Orpingtons, Polish ( ruled out for obvious reasons ) Pekins.
    The chicks are large so don't think they are bantam.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any ideas? Thanks in advance
    Lucy x

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Im not sure but they are adorable. I love chickies, just ask my DH he says too much. Right now he is building me another coop as we have outgrown the ones we have.

3. mrslb333

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quote:lol, they do get addictive. [​IMG]

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I don't see any Orps or Cochins (pekins) in there so cross them out. Very cute! [​IMG]

5. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Cuckoo Marans? I have no idea [​IMG]

6. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    the ones that are black with white dashes on them, with the dark lines down the front of their legs look like Barred Rock hens

Do hens really cost 20 quid at home? I am an ex pat here in California, thats nuts, i think i will move home and breed chickens at that price!

7. mrslb333

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quote:That's cheap compared to some there's a chocolate Orpington on bid for poultry going for £1000 a trio of bantam chocolate Orpingtons had a bid of £250 last time I looked it's crazy money for a chicken. DH suddenly became very interested when he learned that he's drawing up plans for a poultry shed as we speak, lol [​IMG] Whereabouts are you from?

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The brown and grey striped one is a Cochin/Pekin. The black ones with the white dot are Cuckoo Marans - Although I'd check on the "purebreeding" of those birds, because your Cuckoo Marans on the left of the last image and right of the first image has green legs. . . Indicating that they've crossbred it with a yellow legged breed. (probably a Cochin/Pekin)

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I don't think those are cochins- they are seriously lacking in foot feathering. They don't appear to have single combs either. Any brahmas that could come in that color?

10. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    I am originally from Towcester - just off junction 15a of the M1, next to Silverstone. Now i am in CA, i was checking an organic farm here specializing in rare breeds, they wanted 3-400 bucks for a rare breeding pair, but a grand, i am coming home, there seems to be money to be made in chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by