New babies with old babies *lots of questions*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by havi, Sep 15, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Well I didnt know where else to post this, so I thought this would be okay. Sorry, if not, please let me know. I also looked in the FAQ and 'search' but didnt come up with anything.

I have six 5 day old bantams and six 6 month old standard size chickens. Would it be okay to put them in the coop and run together(permantly) at some point? Would the larger birds pick on the smaller ones all the time? At what age should I start letting them 'see' each other. I know I should put the smaller ones in a cage and then sit it in the run so they get to know each other. How long should this be done? And for how long during the day? Has anyone else every mixed banties with full size hens? If so how did it work out?

[​IMG]

Sorry for all the questions, I just couldnt find the answers anywhere else.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am not sure our chickies ladies know about size so much as familiarity. If you want to put them together. split the coop so they can see, hear and know each other for a whle before you put them together. At least this is the advice we are going with in a few weeks!

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    You can introduce them anytime by letting them see each other without being able to touch. That means putting the banties in with the big girls in a cage or some other safe area.

The banties are too small to be allowed with the big girls for quite a while. When you do incorporate them, you shoudl give the banties a "safe zone". This can be a cage with a door that's too small for the standards to enter.

I've got a banty and 3 standards. I got the banty when she was just slightly bigger than the standard chicks. She hasn't grown much since then and it's hard to believe that she was ever bigger than the other girls!

Here's the banty cochin (right) with our fav pullet, Gwen. Gwen is nearly fully grown now.
    [​IMG]]

4. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    well I found if they are raise together as hatching bantams -N- standards together and there been together since hatching then they seem to get along for the most part but if you separated them while there growing up and are older then place them together they will fight , this is what I have found out same as standards vs standard growing up and being together is fine ......separated them for a while and then place them back together look out the bullies seem to be the ruler

just my options and what has happen to me a few time being in this hobby for the last year or so

Al.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I agree that intregrating the 2 types of birds will result in the typical squabbles that come from re-establishing a pecking order.

6. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    We have mixed bantams and full sized hens...The banty hens seem to be able to fly up high...i made a really high perch and they hang out there if they are getting annoyed. Mine are Black Rosecomb Bantams and they can really be feisty, even occasionally chase some of the lower pecking order big girls. I would put them in the coop in a big kennel or cage at night when the lights are off and it's dark. It seems they get used to the smell of each other while they are calm, then try to introduce them in the morning. That's what I do with all newbies. You have to wait until they are pretty full grown though...I think thats why we all wind up with a compound full of various coops [​IMG]

7. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    For the most part my older birds are very calm. I do have one RIR hen that is a stinker thought. [​IMG] I think she would be the only one that would really have a problem out of. But yes I know anyone of the older birds could give them problems as well. Once my banties have really feathered in I think that is when I will start slowly put them together. Just start off with the banties in a kennel outside of the run first and then slowly get where its inside the coop. That way its a over a longer period that they get to know each other and not just within 2 or 3 weeks or so.

Right now my run is.. well I know its around 100 sq ft. Cause when we figured it up I would be able to house 10 fullsized birds at 10sq ft a bird. I only have 6 large birds in there now. How much more do you think I should add for the banties?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by