1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New babies with pics!!! Questions about pine shavings....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jaimepowell, Mar 22, 2012.

1. jaimepowell

jaimepowell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Wellsville
    We got our new babies yesterday from Orschlens!!!!

1 Black Sex Link
    1 New Hampshire Red
    1 Rhode Island Red
    5 Assorted Pullet Layers
    2 Assorted Bantams

My Rhode Island “Orangey” as the kids call her already has some wing feathers so I’m guessing she is older than the others. I put some cedar shavings in their tub this am and my littlest bantam looked like he was trying to eat it. I read a couple other posts that say around 4 days they can usually handle the shavings and not eat them. He is the only one I noticed and I can’t tell if he is eating it or playing in it. All the others seem to love it—they play chase and scratch in it—so cute to watch! I was paranoid for my little guy and put the paper towels back down this morning—should I leave them on the paper towels for a couple more days?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Othylocke

Othylocke Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    Dothan, AL

I assume you meant pine shavings since that is the title of the post.

I wouldn't worry about them eating the shavings, but if you would rather be safe than sorry...be safe :)

Though the "four days" they won't eat shavings thing sounds strange to me. I never used paper towels and they always just played with the shavings, never really ate it.

3. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

My 3 week olds have been on pine shavings since the day I got them. I suspect they ate some, but they eat EVERYTHING they get their little beaks on. I have also provided grit (NOT oyster shells) and they have been eating that since I set it in their brooder. Whatever they ate seems to have done them no harm, but I definitely would provide grit if you think they are eating any of the shavings. Maybe someone with more experience has a different answer tho.

BTW I HOPE you meant pine shavings as cedar is NOT good for chickens. I believe the operative word is POISON.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  4. jaimepowell

jaimepowell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Wellsville
    Yes PINE--oops!! Thanks for the advice! I added shavings which is keeping the house smelling a little better and the husband a little happier!

5. Megs501

Megs501 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    O m g the cute factor is killing me! I'm still waiting on my RIR babies!

Quick question- do you put the grit down on the floor, or in a dish like you do feed?

6. Othylocke

Othylocke Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    Dothan, AL
    I've always heard of putting it in a separate dish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by