New Babies!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NewChickieFarm, Nov 8, 2015.

1. NewChickieFarm

NewChickieFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2015
    Falmouth, KY
    Hello everyone! I am new to chicken farming. I have 6 Americanas and 2 Rhode Island Reds. Well in October I found an ad on Craigslist of someone giving away 4 chicks that were three days old for free. Being the cute little guys they were, I had to snatch them up. The guy said they were Marans and all from the same hen. Three are black with markings and one is a silly odd ball grey. I have looked into the breed and I don't know if they are Marans or not. I've attached pictures of when I first got them at 3 days old and pictures of them now they are starting to get feathers.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. BirdHead

BirdHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2015
    Southern Oklahoma
    Hold them by their feet, and the ones who try getting up are roos. Or pull the win out good enough to see if there are straight feathers (pullet)

3. BirdHead

Nov 3, 2015
    Southern Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    They are all to young to sex for sure, but this one [​IMG] looks like a cockerel with that comb at such a young age.

5. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Oh and [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. NewChickieFarm

NewChickieFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2015
    Falmouth, KY
    Sorry, I've should've been more specific (I get overly excited when talking about these little guys), I was more curious if they look like actual Marans or not.

7. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Oh, that's fine :). I'm not Maran expert but I think the two black ones look like Marans, I'm not sure about the grey ones though.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with Chicken Girl re: the dark chicks. I think the gray one with a little black near wing could be a splash Marans

9. BirdHead

Nov 3, 2015
    Southern Oklahoma

X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by