New babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kelly052976, Jan 7, 2017.

1. kelly052976

kelly052976 New Egg

Aug 16, 2016
    So we had lost a hen...we thought a hawk got her...well she showed back up and then left again...we then found where she had been... She had a nest with about 17 eggs, we moved her and her eggs to the garage and about 4 days later we have eight chicks! Today we moved then all to a bigger area about 6x4 and put mew bedding and she seems to be freaking out a little... She's up way more than before and kicking bedding and sometimes chicks, accidentally but still... Wondering if this is normal.... I'm afraid she isn't interested anymore?!? Help! We are new to this, and weren't really prepared at all....

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Normal behavior. She'll be scratching and calling the chicks to come and eat the goodies that she has discovered. I have never had a chick injured because of this behavior. What are the temperatures where you are ?

1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's right, it's normal broody hen behavior. Haven't you heard the term "fussy as a broody hen"? Our language has more chicken metaphors than you can shake a stick at. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. kelly052976

kelly052976 New Egg

Aug 16, 2016
    Its actually was really cold! Over the weekend we got about 10 inches of snow! Momma and her babies are all doing well in my garage with a heater and a heat lamp... Temperature where the lamp is is about 90 to 95... She keeps her babies either under her or under the light... Guess I panicked over the kicking for nothing! But now I've noticed she has pulled some feathers from her backside....is THAT normal?

5. silkiesdad

silkiesdad New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    Texas
    Yes I believe so. I have a silkies mom that adopted 12 normal sized chicks, now 3 weeks old, with a heat lamp outside and all are doing fine. She seems to be working on the chicks all the time from day one. She pulls her feathers and uses some of it as bedding. Temperature outside is in the 10s at times with lots of wind. She takes them to free range all the time and calls them back to the light when the chicks are cold after about ten minutes. Sounds like you'll be just fine the garage and those behaviors are what my silkie mom is doing also

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by