1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New babies!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickchickens1, Jan 12, 2017.

1. chickchickens1

chickchickens1 Just Hatched

Jul 29, 2016
    Hi,
    I actually joined this summer, but haven't had a chance to introduce myself.

I have a small flock of Silkies. Started with 5, now down to 3. Apparently I have mainly roosters but they are good with each other. They are pets for my Autistic grandson.

Funny story, occurred today! My grandbabies were outside playing today, 8 yr old AJ, (my grandson who owns the chickens) and 4 yr old Bella. The neighbors gave them 7 orphaned chicks (i have no idea what kind they are). Well the kids know the chickens belong in the run, so being the good kids they are, they put 7 tiny chicks in with my roosters.

The 4 yr old finally told her daddy and her uncle that we had new chickens. They ran out to the coop thinking the worst, to find my biggest and oldest rooster sitting on the babies in the coop. He pecked at anyone that reached in and tried to take babies. Since Daddy Roo decided they were his kids we left them in the coop. They come from free range, and the neighbor nevers puts them in a coop so this should be an upgrade for them.

Just wanted to share,

I'm still new to chickens so I probably won't be too helpful if you ask a questions, but I love the forums and reading everyone elses experiences.

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under chickchickens [​IMG] Belated Welcome!

Aaaw, that is an adorable story! Any chance of a picture of the daddy with his little ones?

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

3. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aww, wonderful story! It is nice to meet you :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have introduced yourself and thanks for sharing such a great story. I'm sure that your new chicks are very happy and they will grow up being fully integrated into your existing flock - what a bonus!

Regardless of how long one has kept chickens, we all have experiences to share and thats what makes BYC such a great place, so please don't be shy and feel free to contribute where you can.

Best wishes
    CT

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! What a great intro and story about the roo literally taking the chicks under his wing! He sounds like he will be a great protector of them. Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    @chickchickens1 Welcome! I loved your story, and your grandkids sound incredibly sweet! You mentioned that you've been on BYC for a few months - I hope you've found the thread for raising chickens and disabled kids and had a chance to pop in and introduce yourself there. In the Special needs thread we share a lot of day-to-day things we have learned from our special little ones.....lots of folks in there with kids, grandkids, and other loved ones with autism and other disibilities are so warm and welcoming, and we'd love to learn more about yours.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/935165/raising-chickens-and-special-needs-kids

I have 6 grandkids myself - Jamie, who with his wife Rachel have given us two adorable great grandkids, Austin (sadly lost in a car accident 4 years ago but still in our hearts), Little Diane, who is married to Dustin, Evan, (Austin's little brother) Katie and Kendra. Katie and Kendra are sisters and they live across the street from us. Katie is my chicken buddy - she is now 11 and has mild autism. Kendra is 5 and she was born with Spina Bifida and more severe autism.

I wrote an article on Chickens and Kids with Disabilities. It tells the story of Kendra and Katie and the chickens, and has some lessons I've gained though my experiences with the girls and the birds. Maybe you'll find a tidbit in there that you can use with your Little Warrior!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/kids-with-disabilities-can-enjoy-chickens-too

4 people like this.
  7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I loved your story about the rooster taking over the chicks. You don't have to be an expert in poultry to share stories (or enjoy them). And pictures are always a bonus!

Best wishes to you and your family, make yourself at home here!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Great story - thanks for sharing!

9. vachick15

vachick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! Great story and I hope you like it here!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] lovely story, so glad it had a very happy ending.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by